2004 Tahoe operating temp issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

93M6Formula

Reaction score
This is with that line basically clamped shut. This was showing about 203-207 on my scanner.

Attachments

• 20221203_125648.jpg
    20221203_125648.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 4

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Charlie207 posted a few pics in this thread. The restrictor is a small orifice built into the radiator fitting for the small return hose going to the surge tank.

If anyone wants spent .45ACP brass for this mod, let me know. I'm happy to throw one or two in an envelope and mail them to you.

OD post-fireforming looks to be 0.478" which fit snuggly, but easily, in my GMT900 overflow hose.

I'll let you drill it out to your preference.

0vyn9cJ.jpg

OP
OP

93M6Formula

Reaction score
I think I will probably just get a new thermostat again and test it this time before install. Kind of want to get a new GM pump too just to be sure nothing is wrong with it. All I know is it shouldn't take a 5.3 gasser longer to warm up than my diesels, that's why I bought a gasser again for winter lol.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants spent .45ACP brass for this mod, let me know. I'm happy to throw one or two in an envelope and mail them to you.

OD post-fireforming looks to be 0.478" which fit snuggly, but easily, in my GMT900 overflow hose.

I'll let you drill it out to your preference.

View attachment 386692
Id rather you throw the magazine in a mailer and send it! I have all the .45 acp brass that I need. :p

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will probably just get a new thermostat again and test it this time before install. Kind of want to get a new GM pump too just to be sure nothing is wrong with it. All I know is it shouldn't take a 5.3 gasser longer to warm up than my diesels, that's why I bought a gasser again for winter lol.
Not alot to go wrong with a water pump. It can leak past its mechanical seal, impeller could come off its shaft (overheating would happen then) or the impeller could corrode away (overheating would be the symptom for that too).

OP
OP

93M6Formula

Reaction score
Not alot to go wrong with a water pump. It can leak past its mechanical seal, impeller could come off its shaft (overheating would happen then) or the impeller could corrode away (overheating would be the symptom for that too).
My worry I guess is that it's some super cheap aftermarket replacement that has some flaws, it's definetely not original. Wondering if it's an issue with the thermostat surface. Just spitballing at this point.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My worry I guess is that it's some super cheap aftermarket replacement that has some flaws, it's definetely not original. Wondering if it's an issue with the thermostat surface. Just spitballing at this point.
Another quick and dirty check is to squeeze upper radiator hose between your thumb and index finger on a cold enngine and see if you feel a surge of coolant trying to push your fingers apart. This should not be happening on a cold engine. If it is then it means the thermostat is stuck open (Before the engine is even warm).

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did it take, at 32° Fahrenheit to get the temperatur in the middle of the gauge, when driving normal?

I would like to know to compare. My Escalate 6Liter needs minimum 3-4 Miles or more. What is normal on this engines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy