2004 Tahoe 5.3 1000rpm idle and harsh 1st to 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Clarko88

Reaction score
So I got a reader and my live reader is showing me 585 to 600 idle this mean my tac is ****** up

OP
OP
C

Clarko88

Reaction score
Seems the computer is seeing normal idle rpm..does it sound like its idling high? Fuel trims look good..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Does not seem to be only symptoms I'm having is rough shifts in 1st to 2nd.. that there seems to be slight stumble in idle here and there

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Sounds like tach isn't reading accurately. Idle speed on the scanner shows as normal. It's possible someone pulled off the needles to replace a bulb/stepper and didn't put it back in the right spot when they were done. What does it read key off? 0rpm? Or is it offset?

If 0 rpm - likely bad stepper
If >0rpm - needle offset. Either adjust the needle or get access to a programmer to zero out the gauge

As far as the hard 1-2 shift, do you have a tune? Rather, do you know you DON'T have a tune? Does it occur all the time or only under a specific temperature/throttle condition?

Disconnect battery, touch terminal ends together, let sit overnight, then reconnect. ECU's computers have their own internal capacitors and what not and take quite a while to reset. Don't remember how long hence overnight.

Reconnect, does problem still exist?

If so, clean MAF. Check TPS w/ scanner.

If it's still there, drop the trans pan and inspect the accumulator + spring. They sometimes break and will cause a hard shift at all speeds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic