2004 Silverado 2500 Quadrasteer --> Quadramax Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A "go fast vehicle" has been on my bucket list for the last 5 - 10 years. I'm getting to the point where if I don't do it soon, I'm probably not going to do it. So this is to document my journey.

I've not made any modifications to it so far, other than to fix stuff. The previous owner put aftermarket marker lights on it, but the center cab lights were dead when I got it. Traced that down to a blown fuse, which was caused by a faulty wiring job. Got that all fixed, and found out I had the wrong color lights (white instead of amber), so I used an aftermarket kit I already had for my Suburban (My wife is driving the suburban so doesn't care). Problem solved.

The bed marker lights were also out. Discovered they were simply plugged in backwards (aftermarket LEDs). Corrected that and discovered I had 2 res on the driver's side, and 2 ambers on the passenger side... Corrected that and everything was copacetic until the LEDs started flickering and finally died. With a friends help, we believe we have traced this down to a loose socket which causes deterioration of the aftermarket LEDs over time. I haven't replaced them yet.

The third brake light/bed light has never worked. I didn't realize this for a year or two, and then only that I couldn't get the bed light to work. Since it didn't leak and wasn't a priority, I haven't fixed it yet. I do have an LED strip between the tailgate and the bumper that provides third brake light functionality. It came with the truck, too.

I have aftermarket headlights, running lights, fog lights, and tail lights of an unknown manufacturer; It's a mixture of LED and conventional bulbs. Again, nothing changed here.

I did add a 6-high chip; LOVE the results. I also repaired the interior map lights and added LEDs to them. I still need to add an LED to the overhead light.

I have two issues I'm currently struggling with:

I have a front passenger, interior lock slider that won't stay in the door panel; I've swapped it out a couple of times, but it keeps falling out. I haven't felt like taking the panel off to look at it/replace it (I have a spare, but that is another story). I have a driver's side passenger lock motor that died. I replaced it with a used one -- I have some spares lying around, literally. However, when I put it back together, there was a rubber grommet part of the door rod assembly that disintegrated. I *should* have done something about that while the panel was off... But I put it back together and if wonders will never cease, the rod fell out, and you cannot open the door from the inside.

I have to address the windows closing slowly and what seems to be a lack of power in the power locks system; the driver's side "lock/unlock" all button takes two pushes to get it to work.

I need new tires. I bought some 17" hummer wheels and tires, but the tires are like 315/70R17 or similar that ain't going to fit my wheel wells. As I want to stay with a 33" tire, I'm eventually going to get some Michellins. But... I don't want to add new tires until I repair/replace the 20-year-old suspension.

I got a quote on replacing the suspension, sans shock absorbers, for a full cognitor build. I *think* I really want Kryptonite. I want a one and done build here, but even OEM would be fine since it has last 20 years already. But a friend suggested I hold off until I do the diesel swap, since the diesel setup is going to be heavier.

I've purchased a wrecked 2006 Duramax 2500HD long bed to provide the new drive train. Except, of course, I failed to pay attention to the fact it was a long bed... So I may be sourcing a short bed frame so I can have 2500HD capabilities. The 2500/1500HD frame I have is good for a GVWR of 8600 lbs.; the 2500HD is good for 9200 Lbs. My builder has a CCSB with a 10" life on it; I'm looking to see how much he wants for it.

The guy that is going to do the diesel swap for me is booked out 6 months. In the mean time I'm acquiring the add-ons you need for a typical diesel; uplift pump, fuel filters, etc.

By the way, "Quadramax" came from someone in a Quadrasteer group of which I am a member. WISH I could claim credit for it. :)

I'll get some pictures added some time in the days to come. For now, please wish me luck!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Good luck! Sounds like a formidable task, but you seem up for it. Also looking forward to LOTS of pics. Was the donor a pretty penny? I know diesel ANYTHING is expensive. Pics of the donor?

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Masonry repair = $400. He was supposed to just do a patch job ($400). He did not communicate this to his employee who actually did the work. They tore the bricks all the way out, relevelled the post behind them, and then remortared the bricks! Oh! And there were 2 bricks at the front of my house I had partially damaged with a trailer a year ago; cosmetic only damage that time. But he repaired those as well.

We also found out he did tile work; we had previously moved some cabinets in our kitchen, and needed a dozen tiles to fill the whole. We could not find matching tile ANYWHERE. He quoted us $450 + we would pay for hardybacker, cement, and grout. Cam out to $475, but I paid him $480. HE found matching tile!!! And enough sop we have 1/2 dozen spares now, too!

The garage door repair cost $1100, approximately.

I'm still trying to get the contact information from my wife for the painter, so the door will match the other side again.

I also have to find a replacement hose roller, as the one we had was between the truck and the garage door...

***** No GMT800 vehicles were damaged in this incident -- by the grace of God. Nor was the idiot who caused the problem in the first place, unless you include pride. That was very damaged) *****

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some more pictures of the donor truck. Turns out it was a Farnken truck before I ever bought it. It was the second owner -- the son of the first owner that totalled it. But it had previously been rolled. So the cab is from a 2002 Sierra.... The fatal damage (to the truck; no blood inside the cab!) came from sideswiping a FedEx truck.

20230310_103415.jpg

20230310_103429.jpg
20230310_103438.jpg
20230310_103647.jpg
20230310_103656.jpg

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20230310_103701.jpg
20230310_103705.jpg20230310_134130.jpg

So, in buying the donor truck, I did make one mistake which may or may not be a PITA for me: It is a long bed truck, and I have a short bed. That means I can't use the frame. So I am looking for a 2500 HD, Crew Cab, short bed (CCSB) right now, or the frame there from. I'm looking for a 2010. The frames for these were the same through the 2010 model year, but with some stiffening improvements. 2011 is a different frame. They also switched to 8x 180 in 2011. Until then, it was 8x 165.1. Please wish me luck. The difference between the frame I have and the one I want is mine is rated for #8600 GVWR and the 2500HD frame is rated for #9200 GVWR.

OP
OP
S33k3r

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The finger in the pictures is mine... :mad: The wheels/tires are 315/70R17s; I may be a little off on the tired, but definitely 315s. The wheels are from an H2 Hummer.

I have another order of operations issue that is driving me nuts:

I need new tires.
I also need a new suspension; I want to replace the suspension before I add the tires, so I don't prematurely kills my tires.
As part of the suspension, I need new shocks. I have the ones where dampening can be controled from the cab. So far, I have found nothing similar, the old ones are no longer available and, even if they were, I'm really looking for technology that benefits from 10-20 years more of development...

Finally, I have been told I really should wait until I add the diesel before I change the suspension, to account for the heavier weight of the diesel/Allison set up.

So, if I find a 250HD frame I decide to purchase... I can add a modern suspension and the wheels+tires, in preparation for the diesel swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011