2004 GMC Yukon flex fuel edition issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmpalevich

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2004 GMC Yukon flex fuel edition I never use the stuff!!.. I am having issues with fuel consumption I don't get what's expected out of this truck it's got 179k miles on it no check engine light, the damn thing eats fuel 150 ish miles then I'm empty.. I've replaced 02 sensors map maf fuel pressure regulator cats spark plugs wires breaks rotors calipers transmission is a year old with less than 30k on it. It's a problem I've had for some time and I'm just down right sick of it I see most people getting 15mpg city and 20 mpg hwy with their's in the same year range same model.. what do you guys think could possibly be going on with my huge fuel loss? I have no leaks I don't smell gas

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF from a mile above mean sea level.

15 mpg hwy might be attainable, or a stretch for gas; it depends a lot on how it's driven. Higher octane gas can help the mileage, too; not sure what you run or at what altitude.

Now, you might want to take a look at your ST and LT (short term, long term) fuel trims at idle and at 2000 rpm with a scanner. I know that can be a lot of numbers with both banks but they are all important to help see what's going on. Maybe post them up or upload scanner screen shots.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Like @Fless said, how is it driven, altitude, brand and octane of fuel? Lots of short trips? Mostly highway? Does it sit and warm up the engine before taking off? His recommendation of the fuel trims will help immensely.

OP
OP
B

bmpalevich

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Like @Fless said, how is it driven, altitude, brand and octane of fuel? Lots of short trips? Mostly highway? Does it sit and warm up the engine before taking off? His recommendation of the fuel trims will help immensely.
Always hwy driven at 65 mph or 70mph not many in town short trips never left idling I can get my short trim and long trim I'm

Thanks, well I am running regular fuel in my yukon 87 octane Arco blend and I've also tried shell gas and others nothing seems too improve my fuel mileage I have no check engine lights on I was thinking maybe it's the fuel pressure regulator? I see most people talking about black tail pipe meaning it's that? I can get my scanner and read the sts and lts and I'll upload them to the thread.

OP
OP
B

bmpalevich

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I drive freeway miles mostly not really in town it's a freeway rig for me I don't take short trips as for warming up the thing before taking off sometimes I let it a lil bit but not even for 2 minutes then I take off and go on my way. I will try to get the fuel trims posted soon! Thanks

Noggles

Reaction score
I don't notice a difference in my 05 using 87 vs 89 for 91. Oddly I did in my old Silverado with the same drivetrain lol. When you did your plugs were any darker than the others? More fuel saturated than others? Maybe you have a leaky fuel injector? Does it feel down on power when wide open throttle? What temp does it run at when fully warmed up? Has it ever been tuned before that you are aware of? Any modifications that you know of?

OP
OP
B

bmpalevich

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't notice a difference in my 05 using 87 vs 89 for 91. Oddly I did in my old Silverado with the same drivetrain lol. When you did your plugs were any darker than the others? More fuel saturated than others? Maybe you have a leaky fuel injector? Does it feel down on power when wide open throttle? What temp does it run at when fully warmed up? Has it ever been tuned before that you are aware of? Any modifications that you know of?
No odd plug color they were fairly clean other than the plug end it was pretty warn that's normal nothing out of the ordinary it sits below 210 pretty normal for a 5.3 I haven't done any modification to this at all other than getting an e fan professionally installed

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time you have it hooked up to a scantool, check the coolant temps, from cold to 210. It should be a smooth, linear, movement until its warmed up. It almost sounds like its stuck in closed loop.

What brand O2 sensors? MAF?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh