2004 Denali Transmission & Other Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I broke the MAF lol. Costly mistake, but probably needs it anyway. Question though, how do I know if my 4L65-E has a deep or shallow pan? Going to replace the filter as I'm sure it needs it anyway, it's cheap, and my dad said I needed to see if there's any metal shavings stuck to the pan plug. Also I've heard RockAuto is a good place to get parts, anyone that can confirm that?
I have ordered a number of times over the last 4 years. I have never had any complaints with product quality or shipping. Check the forum for a discount code. They usually post with a 5% discount code for TahoeYukonForum.com members, since they are sponsors of the forum.

There were some compaints about poor packaging for shipping, but I have never experienced any issue. Everything has always arrived in great condition. In fact, I just ordered some TYC headlamp and turn signal assemblies last month. If anything had potential to arrive damaged, I thought those parts would surely be the ones. Nope. They arrived well packed and in perfect condition!

I always check NAPAonline.com too. Sometimes they have discounts that make the same day in-store pickup very competitive in price. I just ordered front CV axle shaft and got $25 off the $111 price. Not bad. Will be ready for pickup this afternoon.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I broke the MAF lol. Costly mistake, but probably needs it anyway. Question though, how do I know if my 4L65-E has a deep or shallow pan? Going to replace the filter as I'm sure it needs it anyway, it's cheap, and my dad said I needed to see if there's any metal shavings stuck to the pan plug. Also I've heard RockAuto is a good place to get parts, anyone that can confirm that?
Deep pan has a step on it. Shallow does not.

Attachments

• 4l60e-shallow-vs-deep-transmission-pan.jpg
    4l60e-shallow-vs-deep-transmission-pan.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
S

SheniqueTheDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for that picture, @rockola1971 that helped out a lot! I finally got the chance to get under it, and i'm no mechanic, but it's leaking transmission fluid from the bell housing and I wouldn't think it should leak there. But would that mean my issue could be the torque converter instead of a bad transmission?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that picture, @rockola1971 that helped out a lot! I finally got the chance to get under it, and i'm no mechanic, but it's leaking transmission fluid from the bell housing and I wouldn't think it should leak there. But would that mean my issue could be the torque converter instead of a bad transmission?
Tranny fluid coming out the front of the tranny is a front seal leaking where the torque converter engages the tranny pump. Wont cause any problems other than a stained driveway unless the fluid is pouring out.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be either. But if you need a torque converter, might as well put a rebuilt trans in since you need to remove it to do the converter and vice versa- if you’re installing a new trans you really should replace the converter. And…while the trans is out you should reeeaaally replace the rear main seal on the engine since the trans has to be out to do that. It’s a $20 part that costs $800 in labor to replace if the trans is in and at your mileage it’s past due if it hasn’t already been replaced.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be either. But if you need a torque converter, might as well put a rebuilt trans in since you need to remove it to do the converter and vice versa- if you’re installing a new trans you really should replace the converter. And…while the trans is out you should reeeaaally replace the rear main seal on the engine since the trans has to be out to do that. It’s a $20 part that costs $800 in labor to replace if the trans is in and at your mileage it’s past due if it hasn’t already been replaced.
Ive never seen a torque converter leak fluid. If it is then the only thing that could cause that is a crack in its body or in the weld that holds the front and rear half of it together. That would mean "you" have a black cloud over your head too if you have a leaking torque converter.
Some had drain plugs but not common on GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins