2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seemingly never ending AC issues appeared again yesterday. Basically sometimes the compressor will not stay engaged on it's own, but using HPT I can command it on and it's perfect.

Pressures as tested just now are low side shooting ridiculously high like 80-90 before the compressor engages but when it tries to engage the high pressure shutoff stops it before the low side can come down and the high side build up. When the low side is 80+the high side is barely above 50. If I command the compressor on with HPT the pressure are damn near perfect, 50 on the low and 200-250 on the high.

Wtf is my 1 year old compressor clutch worn out?

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIdn't figure much on the AC but it's working again so wtf.

I did get to come up with a better solution to my Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in the Z71 valence. Basically used the oem Z71 fog brackets with a bit cut off bolted to the valence like factory. Then used the SS3 universal bracket and bolted it to the factory bracket with a large fender washer which allows a lot of adjustment to center the light just right. That got the mounting distance just right s the fogs don't sit way down in the hole anymore. Then I used Diode Dynamics 07-14 Tahoe fog light bezel to trim it out and make it look factory so there are no gaps for light to shine through.

I think it looks professional now and I have better periphial light output since the fogs sit further out.

Attachments

• 20210925_125454.jpg
    20210925_125454.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210925_125505.jpg
    20210925_125505.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210925_125909.jpg
    20210925_125909.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210925_130213.jpg
    20210925_130213.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210925_130220.jpg
    20210925_130220.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 3

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
How was the AC charged, was the correct charge installed with a scale?

It can be tough to get the charge correct in some systems using just pressures.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I did get to come up with a better solution to my Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in the Z71 valence. Basically used the oem Z71 fog brackets with a bit cut off bolted to the valence like factory. Then used the SS3 universal bracket and bolted it to the factory bracket with a large fender washer which allows a lot of adjustment to center the light just right. That got the mounting distance just right s the fogs don't sit way down in the hole anymore. Then I used Diode Dynamics 07-14 Tahoe fog light bezel to trim it out and make it look factory so there are no gaps for light to shine through.

I think it looks professional now and I have better periphial light output since the fogs sit further out.
Where’s your jack stands? :eek:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

whats the pressure doing when ac compressor wont start?
sometimes when my ac not running, the pressure (via temperature) is over 100psi like the hose is soaking up heat from the exhaust or something and the compressor wont start

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was the AC charged, was the correct charge installed with a scale?

It can be tough to get the charge correct in some systems using just pressures.
I keep thinking it has to do with the charge since it seems to cut off due to high pressure. I know this because when I log HPT I there is a channel to watch Compressor requested Yes/No and AC pressure Disable Yes/No. When the AC cuts off it always flashes AC Pressure Disable Yes telling me for some reason the pressure is suddenly too high. I'm just not sure how else to charge it, I initially added 48oz by fully emptying four 12oz cans into the system. The pressure was a tad high IIRC Low side was around 60psi and high was around or a tad over 300psi. I wasn't concerned at the time because the AC was blowing cold, the compressor was acting normal and it was easily 100* or more in my tin can garage. I have since let some pressure out letting the low side closer to 50psi, Of course, I have no way to measure the amount of refrigerant in the system now.
Where’s your jack stands? :eek:

Chillax I wasn't even under the truck in fact the pictures of the backside of the brackets were taken in selfie mode! I only raised the truck up to get it closer to a height even with my little shop chair. I suppose if it did fall it might have mashed my arm as I tucked it under to tighten the nuts but I'll take that risk.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the pressure doing when ac compressor wont start?
sometimes when my ac not running, the pressure (via temperature) is over 100psi like the hose is soaking up heat from the exhaust or something and the compressor wont start

When it won't start the low side is high like 80+ but within 3 seconds of the compressor coming on (If it does) the pressure back down to 50ish and the high side 200-300 depending on outside temp, heat soak, and if I have front and rear AC on.

Not sure where heat soak would be coming from unless just off the passenger side header but that's a stretch IMO.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chillax I wasn't even under the truck in fact the pictures of the backside of the brackets were taken in selfie mode! I only raised the truck up to get it closer to a height even with my little shop chair. I suppose if it did fall it might have mashed my arm as I tucked it under to tighten the nuts but I'll take that risk.
All right then. On both mine I have to lay on my back with my head under there to R&R my fogs so I can see. Didn’t want you smashing your pumpkin.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right then. On both mine I have to lay on my back with my head under there to R&R my fogs so I can see. Didn’t want you smashing your pumpkin.

I just give um the reach around with Yeeole milwonkee m12 ratchet and hit the spinny switch until they are tight. Those electric ratchets are seriously life changing more so than any tool I think I've bought in the last 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts