2004 5.3 to 6.0 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mayo94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, my 5.3 went boom and I'm thinking about swapping a 6.0 into its place. Wandering what changes would need to be made, for starters, will the 6.0 bolt to the 4l60? And how complicated is it to make all the random changes work with the Tahoe?

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't quote me, but with the exception of the flex plate It should be a bolt on pretty much, If anything you might just want to consider a tune before giving it hell.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my 5.3 went boom and I'm thinking about swapping a 6.0 into its place. Wandering what changes would need to be made, for starters, will the 6.0 bolt to the 4l60? And how complicated is it to make all the random changes work with the Tahoe?

It'll bolt to the 4L60. I think the flex plate discrepancy will depend on the year of your 6.0. I can never recall the specifics, but it's an easy solution requiring either nothing, swapping your 5.3 flex plate over, and/or getting a ~$30 spacer that is actually a GM part.

It'll run on the 5.3 tune, but you're far better off with a proper tune- stock 6.0 or modified. Other than that, it's a direct swap with bolting up, plugging in and accessories. If the donor engine is older and has a DBC TB, you can just swap your original intake manifold over to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts