2003 Yukon Intermittent Windshield Wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nelly781

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone!...Newbie here, so any help is appreciated.

I have an '03 Yukon with intermittent windshield wiper problems. They work fine when on high, but when the timer delay thing is active, then the blades either stop in the middle of the window until the next cycle of the delay timer cycles through; or it the blades studder through their range of motion.

I originally thought it was just a motor issue...but replaced the motor and the problem persists (however slightly different)

Any thoughts?

could it be the control module? if so, where is this located?

David

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!...Newbie here, so any help is appreciated.

I have an '03 Yukon with intermittent windshield wiper problems. They work fine when on high, but when the timer delay thing is active, then the blades either stop in the middle of the window until the next cycle of the delay timer cycles through; or it the blades studder through their range of motion.

I originally thought it was just a motor issue...but replaced the motor and the problem persists (however slightly different)

Any thoughts?

could it be the control module? if so, where is this located?

David
Welcome to the forum David.

You might have a bad multi-function arm/switch.

When the wipers stop in mid stroke, what happens if you change the wiper speed setting? Does it start over and then stop again?

If you slightly twist/wiggle the selector knob without actually moving it to a different detent position, does that get the wiper moving again?

Does it happen No matter where the knob is set in the intermittent range?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OP
OP
N

Nelly781

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey @wjburken and @PNW VietVet ! thanks for the welcome.

1.I tried playing with the control switch/arm and it didnt seem to have any affect on the performance. What usually happens is as follows: i will turn the control switch to a certain time delay setting (let's just say 1sec). the wipers will come on and stutter a couple of times during one full cycle (one cycle being that the wipers go from the down position, to the full sweep position, then back to the down position). Then the timer will wait for 1 second, then the wipers will complete their cycle again (with the stutter being intermittent)

When I put the wipers into High, there doesn't seem to be any stuttering...i think this may have happened once or twice, but usually it cycles through just fine.

2.I replaced the entire motor/module and the problem persisted (slightly different from described above) but nonetheless not performing how it should be performing :-/

anyone have any wiring diagrams? At this point, i feel like some wire connections testing is necessary to understand.

Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would still lean toward the multi function switch, as wade suggested, since the module/board was replaced with the motor. It is easy enough to replace.

OP
OP
N

Nelly781

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

so i did some more research and thought that the pulse modular on the motor would be what causes this issue...so i purchased a new one (not refurbished) and slapped it on there and it seems to be working just fine!!

the part # is as follows:
81-1046PB

hope this helps everyone whoever finds this thread!

David

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So the replacement motor had another board in it and you still had the problem so I went with Wade on the multi function switch and you got a new board and problem solved. Not very good quality control on the wiper motor people. Sheesh!

OP
OP
N

Nelly781

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So the replacement motor had another board in it and you still had the problem so I went with Wade on the multi function switch and you got a new board and problem solved. Not very good quality control on the wiper motor people. Sheesh!
yeh, after speaking with my mechanic, he said that sometimes when they do refurbished parts, they sometimes just do and Ohm test...well, that doesnt always get the job done apparently. So yes, not very good quality control on their part!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yet another reason I am not a fan of reman or rebuilt parts. In the case of engines and transmissions I am ok with it as long as they are by a manufacturer I have had past history with, like Jasper Engines and Transmissions or AC Delco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne