2003 Yukon downshifting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2003 Yukon with a 4.8 engine and a 4L60E transmission. I live in the Adirondack mountains in upstate New York and I have a problem that I have never heard of. Got the cruise on 60 and I'm heading up the side of a mountain on a road and my truck will downshift from overdrive to third and then down to second in a matter of 5 seconds. I've never heard of this in my life, would anybody have any ideas?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try the same rt with out cruise control.

CC will keep giving it gas till its picking up speed, a large hill can slow you down and then its going to floor it if its not gaining speed back fast enough.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a problem. Its the cruise causing it. Your cruise is set for XX MPH and you are going up a steep hill/mountain in a big heavy SUV. The computer sees the speed drop alot and was programmed by you to maintain XX MPH so it gives more throttle which causes a quick downshift and since that didnt solve the speed issue it caused another downshift and I bet the RPM's jumped up alot too. Turn the cruise off going up steep inclines and your "problem" will go away.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its not a problem. Its the cruise causing it. Your cruise is set for XX MPH and you are going up a steep hill/mountain in a big heavy SUV. The computer sees the speed drop alot and was programmed by you to maintain XX MPH so it gives more throttle which causes a quick downshift and since that didnt solve the speed issue it caused another downshift and I bet the RPM's jumped up alot too. Turn the cruise off going up steep inclines and your "problem" will go away.

^^^ This. Mine acts the same way if I let it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons