2003 Tahoe coolant system leak or head gasket leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100 miles later all is well. When I come to a stop, the idle is so smooth, first few times I thought the engine stopped! :D

Question for you all. That buzzing from the sensors on the ceiling, how do you disconnect them or delete them?

Also what could I add to my rear end oil to reduce the chances of having to have to replace gears later than sooner? I have a slightly whine when on the gas. Stops when I let off the gas.

As Tony said, you can try cleaning it. Or, replace it. It's only about $25. I'm not sure, but just unplugging it might cause faults in your HVAC system. If you go through the trouble to access it to unplug it, you might as well just replace it.

I replaced mine about six months ago: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1615656

As for the rear end, have you ever replaced the oil? If not, drain, clean and refill. I'm partial to Mobil1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS. It has the additives for GM's limited slip diffs and (IIRC) is perfectly fine in non-LSD-equipped models.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Tony said, you can try cleaning it. Or, replace it. It's only about $25. I'm not sure, but just unplugging it might cause faults in your HVAC system. If you go through the trouble to access it to unplug it, you might as well just replace it.

I replaced mine about six months ago: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1615656

As for the rear end, have you ever replaced the oil? If not, drain, clean and refill. I'm partial to Mobil1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS. It has the additives for GM's limited slip diffs and (IIRC) is perfectly fine in non-LSD-equipped models.
Yes I have replaced the oil three times since I owned it. Not really bad yet. Yes in regards to the sensors. I will just get news ones and take it on one day.

I am getting the smell of coolant from the car now. Definitely not losing it like I use to. But still there is a smell. I was hoping it might be residual burning off somewhere. Will drive it some more and see if I lose coolant.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have replaced the oil three times since I owned it. Not really bad yet. Yes in regards to the sensors. I will just get news ones and take it in one day.

The sensors are easy to replace- maybe an hour or so job. Well, at least the one above the driver's position. Never messed with the rear one.

I am getting a the smell of coolant from the car now. Definitely not losing it like I use to. But still there is a smell. I was hoping it might be residual burning off somewhere. Will drive it some more and see if I lose coolant.

Check at the ends of ALL hoses (at firewall, radiator, etc.) and gasketed joints (like where water pump meets the block) for any chalkiness or dried crud. It could be a simple ill-placed or loose hose clamp. Check the radiator end tanks- you might've had one on the verge of cracking. Or maybe you just didn't tighten the cap on the surge tank. lol

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensors are easy to replace- maybe an hour or so job. Well, at least the one above the driver's position. Never messed with the rear one.

Check at the ends of ALL hoses (at firewall, radiator, etc.) and gasketed joints (like where water pump meets the block) for any chalkiness or dried crud. It could be a simple ill-placed or loose hose clamp. Check the radiator end tanks- you might've had one on the verge of cracking. Or maybe you just didn't tighten the cap on the surge tank. lol
Well I replaced the water pump about 40k miles ago and literally everything (I mean everything) else in the cooling system about 5k ago. I put pressure on the tank and couldn't find the leak. But unlike last time, I am not losing coolant like crazy. I am going to drive it some more and see what happens. Who knows it may puddled up somewhere and is slowly burning off.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well I replaced the water pump about 40k miles ago and literally everything (I mean everything) else in the cooling system about 5k ago. I put pressure on the tank and couldn't find the leak. But unlike last time, I am not losing coolant like crazy. I am going to drive it some more and see what happens. Who knows it may puddled up somewhere and is slowly burning off.
How are the plastic tees on the firewall?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

AC Delco OE water pump?

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are the plastic tees on the firewall?
Yes I have brand new GM ones attached. Put some serious pressure on the expansion tank and usually they will start dripping and no drip. Everything is tight and double checked. I am leaning towards the Water Pump. But we will see. It is a very small leak and I am sure it will start to get larger so I see where it is coming from.

OP
OP
T

tomloans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump was back 5 years ago and 50k miles ago already. Crazy how quickly time flies by. Don't have any record of where I bought it. Hmmm. I think I am going to watch it for awhile see if the pin hole grows. It is a quick and easy job so no big deal. Compared to what I just did, it is nothing. :D Thanks again guys. I will check in from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2