2003 Tahoe Aftermarket Radio Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoder1988

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm new here, and I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction cuz this is driving me nuts. It took me not even 5 minutes to get the radio out, and going on 2 days of running back and forth to a store to get a new one in!!!!! This is beyond frustrating. Anywho, I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe LS. Replacing the factory Radio with a Dual Electronics Xdvd179bt 7 inch flip screen radio. All the stores around here seem to not have the correct wiring harness. I can plug the harness in just fine, but I cannot get the radio to power on. I have googled around and looked online, and it looks as if there might be a connector out there that stores don't carry anymore. I have tried re pinning one of my connectors that I have to that layout, and when I have done so the radio actually starts to make a "whining" noise like it is trying to power on. I can't seem to find a correct diagram that matches how this one is pinned out inside the dash but I have made assumptions based on what colors are on multiple websites. Below is how it is pinned.

A1- orange (my assumption is this is battery 12v which should go to yellow)
A2-7 are empty on the harness in the dash
A8-tan (assumption is this is the Left Front + Speaker)
A9-Gray (assumption is this is the Left Front - Speaker)
A10-light blue (assumption is this is the Right Rear - Speaker)
A11-Dark Blue (assumption is this is the Right Rear + Speaker)
A12-black/white (assumption is this is ground)

B1-orange (not 100% sure what this one is for, possibly 12v Accessory, so red wire???)
B2-7 are empty
B8-brown (assumption is this is the left rear + Speaker)
B9-yellow (assumption is this is the left rear - speaker)
B10-green (assumption is this is the Right front - Speaker)
B11-light green (assumption is this the Right front + Speaker)
B12-Empty

Has anyone ever seen one laid out like this? And is it possibly to re pin the connector like I am trying to do, or am I missing something here? Ive put in over 30 radios, but I have never had this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm new here, and I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction cuz this is driving me nuts. It took me not even 5 minutes to get the radio out, and going on 2 days of running back and forth to a store to get a new one in!!!!! This is beyond frustrating. Anywho, I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe LS. Replacing the factory Radio with a Dual Electronics Xdvd179bt 7 inch flip screen radio. All the stores around here seem to not have the correct wiring harness. I can plug the harness in just fine, but I cannot get the radio to power on. I have googled around and looked online, and it looks as if there might be a connector out there that stores don't carry anymore. I have tried re pinning one of my connectors that I have to that layout, and when I have done so the radio actually starts to make a "whining" noise like it is trying to power on. I can't seem to find a correct diagram that matches how this one is pinned out inside the dash but I have made assumptions based on what colors are on multiple websites. Below is how it is pinned.

A1- orange (my assumption is this is battery 12v which should go to yellow)
A2-7 are empty on the harness in the dash
A8-tan (assumption is this is the Left Front + Speaker)
A9-Gray (assumption is this is the Left Front - Speaker)
A10-light blue (assumption is this is the Right Rear - Speaker)
A11-Dark Blue (assumption is this is the Right Rear + Speaker)
A12-black/white (assumption is this is ground)

B1-orange (not 100% sure what this one is for, possibly 12v Accessory, so red wire???)
B2-7 are empty
B8-brown (assumption is this is the left rear + Speaker)
B9-yellow (assumption is this is the left rear - speaker)
B10-green (assumption is this is the Right front - Speaker)
B11-light green (assumption is this the Right front + Speaker)
B12-Empty

Has anyone ever seen one laid out like this? And is it possibly to re pin the connector like I am trying to do, or am I missing something here? Ive put in over 30 radios, but I have never had this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Not sure about all the wires/colors you posted, but orange should be the dimmer, solid black is ground, blue or dark blue should be a remote/pwr antenna. Red is usually 12v for memory/clock. I know gray/dark gray, purple/purple with a stripe, gray/gray white, green and green/stripe are speaker wires. You'll need a chime box if you don't have it already. I'm no expert, but that's off the top of my head. What harness are you using? Metra or Scosche?

TheMfnManTJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your gonna wire it up with just the standard harness, your gonna need a few add a fuses. Run your red wire to the Aux 2 fuse in the left panel fuse box. Run your Yellow wire to the wiper 2 fuse. Just ground inside the wire harness on the black wire. Your speaker wire colors are probably correct but you can Google just to make sure. I have a 04 Suburban and used the PAC kit until I had issues and then I wired it up directly bypassing the kit and that's how I got it done.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving responses from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum, and others will chime in.