2003 SSV Steering Wheel Controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GatorBite

Reaction score
I popped off the steering wheel airbag today to look and see if the wiring harness for the steering wheel controls was there. It isn't. I didn't bother pulling off the steering wheel and the clock spring to see if the harness may have been a behind that someplace.

Does anyone know if the in dash portions of the wiring harness are in the vehicle? Or more specifically, can I do anything to get the steering wheel controls working if I got the switches and a steering wheel with the switch locations in it?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I popped off the steering wheel airbag today to look and see if the wiring harness for the steering wheel controls was there. It isn't. I didn't bother pulling off the steering wheel and the clock spring to see if the harness may have been a behind that someplace.

Does anyone know if the in dash portions of the wiring harness are in the vehicle? Or more specifically, can I do anything to get the steering wheel controls working if I got the switches and a steering wheel with the switch locations in it?
Pretty sure I've read that you need a clock spring from a truck that came with the steering wheel controls as they're different.

OP
OP
GatorBite

GatorBite

Reaction score
Pretty sure I've read that you need a clock spring from a truck that came with the steering wheel controls as they're different.

Thanks. I will pull it all apart soon to see if I can find the harness behind the clock spring a little lower in the column.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated. Im curious if i get another truck that doesnt have the controls.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, GM appears to have built each wiring harness specific to the options, as apposed to a generic wiring harness w/ connector for the extra options unpopulated. I say that, but my friend who built these trucks in Michigan says otherwise. He used to work for GM to build the heavy duty work trucks. It could be some years they did generic harnesses and others they didn't.

I'm trying to add the roof beacon option in my truck and the connector is not there so I have to build that part of the harness. However, my dash is currently torn all the way down to the harness. I can take a look at anything (although mine is a 2001 so a bit different) if it would be of help to you.

20200715_210045.jpg

OP
OP
GatorBite

GatorBite

Reaction score
I eventually gave up on trying to figure it out. As much as I would like the convenience of the steering wheel controls, I had other projects with the truck that were more of a concern for me.

If I happen to revisit this in the future I will let you guys know if I find anything.

Jwedge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well I sourced the harness, clock spring and found a mint "new old stock" Grant OEM wheel for my 03. installed all of it and the truck features work as before but I am missing something for the radio and info controls.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
well I sourced the harness, clock spring and found a mint "new old stock" Grant OEM wheel for my 03. installed all of it and the truck features work as before but I am missing something for the radio and info controls.
Those Grant wheels are nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC