2003 Seat Installation and wiring diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70-K5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a set of seats out of a 2003 Tahoe that I just picked up off craigslist.
I am going to be putting them in a 89 K5. One of the rails seems easy to mount with either one or two bolts. The other seat track however is interesting as getting a bolt or a nut into the bracket looks near to impossible. Is there a stud or something that the seat slides onto ?

The other $100 question is how do the electronics work? They are power and heated, I've heard that the heating switch is not on the seats so I'll have to wire up one separate. I have adequate experience with electronics, diagrams, threads, whatever, please help!

thanks in advance.

OP
OP

70-K5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
bump for mounting pictures of 2003 bucket seats!

Here's what I picked up.

3Eb3Ff3H15Ec5Z15J1cck9b8b6223d15d183e.gif

And here's the plug I've got to interpret.

2012-12-22_18-10-10_581.jpg

I don't know why there are so many wires, since the controls are in the seat I would assume all the switches would be contained...

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put 2002 seats in my '77 C-10 but i didn't wire anything up since I don't really move them back and forth :)

OP
OP

70-K5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was checking out your seat install on the square body forum, that's some good work!

Do you know about the mounting bolts? The inner track looks like a pita to get the bolts in, unless they are exposed when you move the ends of the tracks are exposed when the seats are moved back and forth.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah to get to those bolts it's easiest if you move the seat all the way forward for the back and all the way back for the front bolts. Even then they are a PITA.

OP
OP

70-K5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I figured it out, easier than I thought... In the harness there is a large gauge black wire and a large gauge red wire... Hooked those up to a 12v power tool battery I've got and cycled everything through!

I can live with this for now and worry about the heat f(x) after I get them installed which looks like a pita.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I somehow missed this thread. I installed 04 seats in my 2001. Same plug as your pic. I had to hardwire them in since 03+ is completely different than 02 and older. I found the main power and ground just like you did. I did tons of research on the heated seat portion. I learned that there is a small computer under the seat. This computer communicates with the BCM which gets a signal from the switch. But since its all computer controlled, the signal is sent via the databus. 02 and older trucks have no such databus architecture so it basically impossible to wire up the heated seats unless you convert the entire 03 dash harness and BCM into your truck. Once I learned that, I gave up on the heated seats. I'm fine with just movement and power lumbar.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those seats would be awesome in a blazer, way better than the stock original ones by far!! If I was keeping my 85, I would be all about putting some in it!!

Got any pics of the K5?

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

And also, welcome to the forum fellow Oregonian, I live near Portland as well!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu