2003 GMC Yukon Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nyjetfan21

Reaction score
I have a 2003 yukon 5.3 Liter. The last day or two my dash board was blacking out and would come right back on as if I lost power for a split second but didnt have any affect while driving. I was leaving work today and the truck was suddenly dead and needed a jumpstart. I have a brand new battery and the alternator is a little over two years old. I do notice when the truck was running for a while weeks months ago that the headlights have a little dimness and brightness to them before this happened. Does anybody know what this can be and how I can diagnose the problem thank you

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have a 2003 yukon 5.3 Liter. The last day or two my dash board was blacking out and would come right back on as if I lost power for a split second but didnt have any affect while driving. I was leaving work today and the truck was suddenly dead and needed a jumpstart. I have a brand new battery and the alternator is a little over two years old. I do notice when the truck was running for a while weeks months ago that the headlights have a little dimness and brightness to them before this happened. Does anybody know what this can be and how I can diagnose the problem thank you

Start with cables, namely the ground. They are known to corrode from the inside out. I'd just research the big 3 upgrade off the bat if you're into modding/improving the truck.

OP
OP
N

Nyjetfan21

Reaction score
Does anybody have a easy step by step video about the big three on how to do it and also what is needed to be purchased and where can I purchase everything I need.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw tons on YouTube just follow HiHoe’s directions. Pretty straight forward job.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Many threads here about intermittent electrical problems and they typically led back to ground problems, like HiHoe said.

OP
OP
N

Nyjetfan21

Reaction score
This is where I stand I could not find any videos from High Hopes my local auto store replaced my alternator for free because it was a lifetime warranty I installed the alternator had to jumpstart the truck thinking that the battery was dead and once I turned the truck off after running for about A half an hour I went to start it right back up and it was totally dead no power whatsoever no lights no radio no nothing can anybody tell me if it has to do with the ground and can anybody show me videos on how to diagnose and hopefully fix the problem I am lost right now thank you very much

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Basics, did you check all connections at the ends of each battery cable? Loose, dirty, corroded? How old is the battery? Were you able to jump start again?

By the way, I complimented another member, a couple days ago, about them posting the longest sentence in a thread but yours is longer so you get the crown for now. It is always easier to comprehend what someone is saying if they use punctuation. Otherwise we have to read and then insert a start and stop point with each declaration.

Or, are all NY Jet fans this way? Bazinga!

OP
OP
N

Nyjetfan21

Reaction score
The battery is brand new. I got it in the middle of June of this year. All the connections are in perfect shape,tight and no corrosion

OP
OP
N

Nyjetfan21

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me to try and jumpstart the truck by hooking the positive jumper cable from the positive battery to back nut of alternater and it started up. He told me it can be a fuse if it starts and it did

OP
OP
N

Nyjetfan21

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me to try and jumpstart the truck by hooking the positive jumper cable from the positive battery to back nut of alternater and it started up. He told me it can be a fuse if it starts and it did
Does anyone know which fuse it could be if thats true