2003 Gmc Yukon 4wd 5.3L steering turns without key in ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in process of rebuilding/installing my rebuilt motor. I had lowered the motor in the engine bay and forgot to slide the driver side exhaust manifold in the engine bay. I had to remove the steering shaft where it attaches to the steering box and upper part of steering. Anyways I removed the shaft and the upper steering that attaches to the shaft slid down. I got it all back together and now I can turn the wheel with no key in the ignition/lock. Has been disconnected from the battery for a few months.
Worried I have messed up the steering shaft that slides into the ignition/steering wheel.

Any help would be appreciated..

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the steering wheel never locked. why these years are so easy to steal.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it did not lock prior to me removing the steering shaft. We travel right much with it and I had thought about pulling the fuel pump relay at night/hotels in some areas we travel.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not that it didnt lock,,,they dont lock ever. how they were made.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes since why they get stolen allot.

add to it that you can literally rip the shiftier out of park too. then they can just push your truck where every they like and start stripping it down, wheels go first.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure if they want it they will take it.