2003 Chevy Tahoe- Transmission Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a deep pan (and deep filter) is put on, is the dip stick the same?
I honestly don’t know.. I’d say yes, because the dipstick level (fill mark) is supposed to be even with the level, where the pan attaches, IIRC.. I saw that in a Performabuilt video. So if that’s the case, the dipstick would be the same. I had to mark a new spot on my dipstick when the new level 3 trans, and FTI triple disc were installed.. I’ll see if I can find that video..

ETA: 12:00 mark:

Last edited:

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil dipstick must be the same, because, as you can see in the post from @rockola1971 on page 3, it doesn’t matter, how deep the oil pan is, because the oil dipstick shows the oil level of the oil, not the quantity.

In a larger, or better deeper oil pan, more oil fits, but the oil level must be the same.

Reaction score
The oil dipstick must be the same, because, as you can see in the post from @rockola1971 on page 3, it doesn’t matter, how deep the oil pan is, because the oil dipstick shows the oil level of the oil, not the quantity.

In a larger, or better deeper oil pan, more oil fits, but the oil level must be the same.
A dipstick stop is used on models up to 2003 then the pan changed in 04+ to include a step/shelf in that location that performs that function. The dipstick stop for a shallow pan is a little shorter/shallower than one for a deep pan (97+). I don’t have dipsticks from shallow and deep pan vehicles to directly compare but id suspect they may not be exactly the same length given the difference in height between the two stops.

Shallow pan example
D5A54357-2048-4610-85B3-82B7CAFD6519.jpeg

Deep pan
EF0C6A55-6407-4EAC-AB60-B415FF693CAA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my transmission service is complete. Successful for the most part. Ended up having to drop the exhaust which was a pain in the ass like everyone said what a dumb design to run the exhaust directly over the pan. Anyhow, I flushed the old out from the trans line from the radiator, then drained the rest from the pan. New filter, new fluid and she is up and running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr