2003 Chevy Tahoe- Transmission Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rockola1971, since I have the step pan I never wondered till now. What is the reason for the two pans and two filters? If have the shallow pan, can the deep pan and deep filter be changed over and if so, what would be the benefit, if any?
If trail riding, a deep pan might not help ground clearance over obstacles if it hangs lower than a stock pan.

When I had my Jeep, everyone in that forum was all about "tummy tucks" raising engine mounts and lifting engine and transmissions as high as possible to gain ground more clearance.

I would guess deeper pan, holding more fluid, would allow greater heat dissipation. I would think more cooling would be good for heavy duty towing or really launching it on a drag strip.

I am willing to learn, if I am wrong on this. I am not pretending to be a transmission/performance build expert.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beim Trailfahren hilft eine tiefe Pfanne möglicherweise nicht, die Bodenfreiheit über Hindernisse zu überwinden, wenn sie niedriger als eine Standardpfanne hängt.

Als ich meinen Jeep hatte, drehte sich in diesem Forum alles um "Bauchdeckenstraffungen", um Motorlager anzuheben und Motor und Getriebe so hoch wie möglich anzuheben, um mehr Bodenfreiheit zu gewinnen.

Ich würde vermuten, dass eine tiefere Pfanne, die mehr Flüssigkeit enthält, eine größere Wärmeableitung ermöglichen würde. Ich würde denken, dass mehr Kühlung gut für schweres Abschleppen oder wirkliches Starten auf einem Schleppstreifen wäre.

Ich bin bereit zu lernen, wenn ich hier falsch liege. Ich gebe nicht vor, ein Experte für Getriebe/Leistungsaufbau zu sein.
More volume can also be a reason... The question is which oil pan has have the newer models. If the flat oilpan is at the newer models, it can all so be that you are right and they want to have more space to the ground and as well produce a cheaper oilpan, because for the flat one you need less material and and you have a simpler cast...

Reaction score
@rockola1971, since I have the step pan I never wondered till now. What is the reason for the two pans and two filters? If have the shallow pan, can the deep pan and deep filter be changed over and if so, what would be the benefit, if any?
The later, deep pan and filter design can be installed onto any 93-97 4L60e and provides an additional 3/4 of a quart or so. All other things equal, the more fluid you have for cooling, the better.

Last edited:

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The later, deep pan and filter design can be installed onto any 93-97 4L60e and provides an additional 3/4 of a quart or so. All other things equal, the most fluid you have for cooling, the better.
Then it's probably about more oil, bigger filter and less risk to suck air in certain situations.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
But, The deeper pan can be added to a shallow pan set up and the bigger/deeper filter would just plug right in?

Reaction score
But, The deeper pan can be added to a shallow pan set up and the bigger/deeper filter would just plug right in?
Yes. You need the late, deeper filter with the deeper pan to reach the bottom of the pan. There is a very slight designed interference fit between pan and filter so the pan can hold/retain the filter in the pump. Otherwise it would just come loose and drop part way or all the way off.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes. You need the late, deeper filter with the deeper pan to reach the bottom of the pan. There is a very slight designed interference fit between pan and filter so the pan can hold/retain the filter in the pump. Otherwise it would just come loose and drop part way or all the way off.
I figured that but was wanting to be sure about the filter mount area where it plugs in. I have a friend that may do this changeover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2