2003 2WD Yukon Daily Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the Premium Smooth Ride option (ZW7) you'll need to get stiffer springs for the rears if you replace Nivomat shocks (if they're still on it).
Stiffer springs? I probably missed out on the info for this. Part number please, as I think this is what I need to get for mines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Bear77 If you do have the Nivomats on the rear and change them to standard shocks, Bilstein indicates that their companion spring be installed at the same time:

Capture.JPG

A lot of guys just pick up a set of GM Z71 springs, instead. Not sure if the spring rates are the same for these replacements, but I suspect they're similar.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that info...I did change mine out and was wondering why it seemed to feel like it was bottoming out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

ddwelch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have the Premium Smooth Ride option (ZW7) you'll need to get stiffer springs for the rears if you replace Nivomat shocks (if they're still on it).

I pulled off some trashed Gabriels. What indicators would be for the Premium Smooth Ride option?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to tell if the springs have been changed; if they still have ID numbers on them those could be searched. If your Yukon shipped with the Premium Smooth Ride, the RPO code ZW7 will be one of the (RPO) codes on the inside of the glovebox lid.

OP
OP
D

ddwelch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No real updates to provide. Just maintenance has happened.
Jan 2021:
Front upper and lower control arms with ball joints and bushings
Flipped steering bar around so it is correct orientation
New oil pressure unit with harness (no more leaks!!!)

But now my AC compressor is needing to be replaced.

The new front end stuff made it ride sooooo crispy. I would guess it is very close to how it felt rolling off the lot in 2003.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
No real updates to provide. Just maintenance has happened.
Jan 2021:
Front upper and lower control arms with ball joints and bushings
Flipped steering bar around so it is correct orientation
New oil pressure unit with harness (no more leaks!!!)

But now my AC compressor is needing to be replaced.

The new front end stuff made it ride sooooo crispy. I would guess it is very close to how it felt rolling off the lot in 2003.
What do you mean you flipped the steering bar for better orientation? Pics?

OP
OP
D

ddwelch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What do you mean you flipped the steering bar for better orientation? Pics?

Sorry for the delay. I had seen your post, but have been super busy to get under it and snap a pic.

cdEmg2p.jpg

The orientation of the steering bar needs to have the bends you see leading to the tie rod going towards the front of the truck. Someone prior to me had it installed opposite/backwards with the bends facing the rear. This will bolt up and will align in the wrong orientation, however it affects the steering and would cause the wheels to camber out near full lock. I would experience a sliding effect while turning in reverse, and the turning radius while going forward was significantly larger. My tires showed major camber wear on the outter corners while driving with it backwards. Flipped the bar around, got a new alignment and rotated the tires. The tires after rotation that were fresh from the rear show zero wear like the fronts had done, my turning radius got tighter, and no more sliding sensation while turning in reverse.

No updates on the Yukon. I got the opportunity to buy a 89 Toyota 4x4 from my friends parents after she passed away. So my money got allocated to that.

However, I need to do more maintenance as my main drive belt is getting shredded and about to let go. My AC compressor makes noise when engaged so I am thinking the clutch is seizing, Yay. I know it wont be anything spectacular, but I will take pics and upload for documentation purposes when I do those things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons