2002 Tahoe wont run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Without key security on at all time. When turning key it cranks ant try to start.
2. It starts and dies after a second or two.
3. Lights and powerlook worked as normal before and latest halv a hour before i
parked thre car .
4. 12.67V. I also use a 5 amp maintenance charger when working with the car.
12,67V it whitout charger and battery resting.

People had light and powerlock problems with the passlock failing and in adition i have the light on to tell me the passlock plays up. Have a PK3+ on my keys so i guess that is a Passkey 3+ system in my car.

You are welcome to Norway but its to cold to chase women, better to repair old US cars
OK now things are startring to make some sense.

Engine starts then dies a few seconds later AND you have P1626 which is the fuel pump disable because your PASSLOCK system is engaged. To verify the Passlock is engaged you can goto your scanner and check the state it is in. There are 3 main components to the PASSLOCK system. The passlock ssensor, BCM and the magnet in your ignition lock cylinder. The magnet doesnt go bad. The PASSLOCK sensor is the typical failure point but there is a remote chance that your BCM is the culprit. The fact that your power locks and interior lights are acting up leads me to believe your BCM (Body Control Module) is at fault, however it is possible that your PASSLOCK sensor and Ignition switch (not to be confused with ignition lock cylinder) are causing the problems. The Ignition switch is cheap and easy to replace. The PASSLOCK sensor I believe only comes preinstalled in an igniton lock cylinder housing and in order to replace that you will have to pull the steering wheel.
If you have verified all the main grounds are clean and tight, especially the one behind the engine block to firewall as well as the one below drivers door on chassis near firewall then I would replace BCM and it has to be programmed to your VIN. Bad grounds can cause the BCM to act up because it has lost its ground reference that it uses to make decisions and institute them as a voltage output. If parts are hard to get for Tahoes there in Norway, there is ebay and we have 1000's of salvage yards here in the U.S. and we can work something out to get your part to you. You will need the GM part# off of your BCM to get the correct BCM. There could be multiple part numbers for your model year.

Honestly if I am in the steering column to replace the Igntion Cylinder housing then while I have it all opened up I would replace the Ignition switch since they are cheap enough and easy to replace. Considering the vehicle age I would do it now or you will be doing it later.

Remember when the system is taken apart this far and parts replaced a PASSLOCK relearn is REQUIRED.

Here is a video that explains alot and shows the work needed to get the parts replaced. It is not difficult. Just tedious.

Attachments

• passlock2.gif
    passlock2.gif
    57 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steve Berg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK now things are startring to make some sense.

Engine starts then dies a few seconds later AND you have P1626 which is the fuel pump disable because your PASSLOCK system is engaged. To verify the Passlock is engaged you can goto your scanner and check the state it is in. There are 3 main components to the PASSLOCK system. The passlock ssensor, BCM and the magnet in your ignition lock cylinder. The magnet doesnt go bad. The PASSLOCK sensor is the typical failure point but there is a remote chance that your BCM is the culprit. The fact that your power locks and interior lights are acting up leads me to believe your BCM (Body Control Module) is at fault, however it is possible that your PASSLOCK sensor and Ignition switch (not to be confused with ignition lock cylinder) are causing the problems. The Ignition switch is cheap and easy to replace. The PASSLOCK sensor I believe only comes preinstalled in an igniton lock cylinder housing and in order to replace that you will have to pull the steering wheel.
If you have verified all the main grounds are clean and tight, especially the one behind the engine block to firewall as well as the one below drivers door on chassis near firewall then I would replace BCM and it has to be programmed to your VIN. Bad grounds can cause the BCM to act up because it has lost its ground reference that it uses to make decisions and institute them as a voltage output. If parts are hard to get for Tahoes there in Norway, there is ebay and we have 1000's of salvage yards here in the U.S. and we can work something out to get your part to you. You will need the GM part# off of your BCM to get the correct BCM. There could be multiple part numbers for your model year.

Honestly if I am in the steering column to replace the Igntion Cylinder housing then while I have it all opened up I would replace the Ignition switch since they are cheap enough and easy to replace. Considering the vehicle age I would do it now or you will be doing it later.

Remember when the system is taken apart this far and parts replaced a PASSLOCK relearn is REQUIRED.

Here is a video that explains alot and shows the work needed to get the parts replaced. It is not difficult. Just tedious.
Thanks. I have a passkey 3+ system. I ordered a vin programed remanufactured BCM from US and a new key housing with sensor inside. Very litle to find regarding passkey 3+ system and how to replace parts but i hav the bcm out and removed the shroud around the steeringwheel to get to the exciter which i also have ordered new from France. Hopefully the harness is ok as it seams very difficult to find the correct one new. Anyway thanks for your parts offer, very kind but i have good contacts your place as i have been driving US cars for ages.

OP
OP
S

Steve Berg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a passkey 3+ system. I ordered a vin programed remanufactured BCM from US and a new key housing with sensor inside. Very litle to find regarding passkey 3+ system and how to replace parts but i hav the bcm out and removed the shroud around the steeringwheel to get to the exciter which i also have ordered new from France. Hopefully the harness is ok as it seams very difficult to find the correct one new. Anyway thanks for your parts offer, very kind but i have good contacts your place as i have been driving US cars for ages.
My Switch looks like this in the lock end and i have 5 wires going to the steering angel system.

Attachments

• 3893D40D-88EB-40FC-B2FF-BC57E1A84150.jpeg
    3893D40D-88EB-40FC-B2FF-BC57E1A84150.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ADBC5D5B-4DFD-4E5B-9FD8-B3D5ED48F4A0.jpeg
    ADBC5D5B-4DFD-4E5B-9FD8-B3D5ED48F4A0.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
S

Steve Berg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rock auto have a ACDELCO D1466E which suppose to be for my car but it dont look like mine. A win search on gm parts online say gm # 89058142 but this is discontinued and no pictures to compare with so i dont know. Might leave the old switch and hope for the best. That thing on the switch going in to the lock housing, is that a part which normally fail?

Steve

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock auto have a ACDELCO D1466E which suppose to be for my car but it dont look like mine. A win search on gm parts online say gm # 89058142 but this is discontinued and no pictures to compare with so i dont know. Might leave the old switch and hope for the best. That thing on the switch going in to the lock housing, is that a part which normally fail?

Steve
Usually the ingition switch failure points are the internal contacts. They either get burned causing an electrical open circuit or they weld themselves together and are then always closed contacts and that could be very bad depending on which set weld.

OP
OP
S

Steve Berg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Usually the ingition switch failure points are the internal contacts. They either get burned causing an electrical open circuit or they weld themselves together and are then always closed contacts and that could be very bad depending on which set weld.
With ignition switch do you mean that part soldered to the harness that push in to the bottom ov the key housing and have two plugs at the end which one is the beeper if you leave the key in the lock? If, i guess that means the whole harness and thats my problem. They are discontinued.

Steve

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With ignition switch do you mean that part soldered to the harness that push in to the bottom ov the key housing and have two plugs at the end which one is the beeper if you leave the key in the lock? If, i guess that means the whole harness and thats my problem. They are discontinued.

Steve
Goto video above to the 7:30 mark and it shows the removal of the ignition switch. The ignition switch is not discontinued. If a wire in the steering column is broken it can be easily repaired.

OP
OP
S

Steve Berg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Goto video above to the 7:30 mark and it shows the removal of the ignition switch. The ignition switch is not discontinued. If a wire in the steering column is broken it can be easily repaired.
Thats the problem i have. A passkey III have a transmitter around the key and it was discontinued in 2015 by GM and no 3rd party switches around. Have 5. leads from the switch to the transmitter and all available switches have 3. The transmitter i have is from Delphi and also discontinued (see Picture) so i ordered a complete rebuild kitt to Passlock II as they are everyvere for sale.

Steve

Attachments

• 8077E140-34C3-4B9F-9934-ADEF4A4A6B16.jpeg
    8077E140-34C3-4B9F-9934-ADEF4A4A6B16.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 191D7335-4661-4CE7-99B2-6080ED62D4F0.jpeg
    191D7335-4661-4CE7-99B2-6080ED62D4F0.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 3

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the problem i have. A passkey III have a transmitter around the key and it was discontinued in 2015 by GM and no 3rd party switches around. Have 5. leads from the switch to the transmitter and all available switches have 3. The transmitter i have is from Delphi and also discontinued (see Picture) so i ordered a complete rebuild kitt to Passlock II as they are everyvere for sale.

Steve
You have the PASSLOCK 3 system on a 2002 tahoe? And you have a transmitter on your ignition key? Pic of ignition key? I have (2) 2003 Tahoe LT's and neither have that crap on them. Maybe its a made for european market type situation.