2002 Tahoe Speaker Replacement, not upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all

got an 02 Tahoe that sounds like crap. real tinny no low end, etc

Assuming the speakers are shot, not good for anything other than talk radio.

Im not trying to build a system to impress anyone, just get back to stock sound, or a little better.

Im perfectly content with the stock audio quality in my 99 Yukon, so not looking for much.

Ive seen kits with basic Kenwood 6.5" 2-way speakers 30W/4ohm 300W max, wire adapters and mounting brackets.... amazon, ebay, etc.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KFC-1666S-Inch-Coaxial-Speaker/dp/B00078RX9G?th=1

Would something like this, replacing them in all 4 doors, make a difference?

Thanks!

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the factory headunit in my 00 burb with 6.5” infinity reference components in the front doors and 6.5” infinity kappa components in the rear doors and it sounded great. I had also done the amp bypass harness which helped a lot. My burb also had the factory 8” sub

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I’ll need a sub too

What’s the deal on that?
I’ve read that it needs to be 2 ohms...... but have seen people put a 4 ohm sub in without complaints...

Again, all of this is above my pay grade.

What happens if I put a 4 ohm sub in rather than a 2 ohm?

SouthernDuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Door speakers are not a problem. Nor are they expensive. Anything is just about better than stock. The sub is an 8”. I tried to replace that but the pioneer that I bought really didn’t want to fit in the stock box. After some patient trimming, checking and adjusting my sub box looked like my 5 year old did it. Needless to say it sounded awful. Like I pulled the wires so I didn’t hear it awful. Really the guys a Crutchfield are awesome. Chat with any of them and they will help you out tons. Tell them your goals and they will steer you straight.

The rest of that story is after hearing how good the factory system in my wife’s 18 Tahoe was, I went with some major upgrades. In the form of a 5 channel amp and 2 12s in the back. No regrets whatsoever. To each their own.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id like to add another side to this discussion. im not the greatest with audio stuff so i cant explain why things do what they do but here we go. the speakers your going to install you want to match the output of the hu/amp. if you use speakers that are too powerful it will still sound like crap. im not sure why or at what point a speaker is considered too powerful for whats driving it. i also suggest crutchfield instead of Amazon. crutchfield will gladly tell you what you should install based off what you want the system to do. ive dealt with them countless times and they have never tried to upsell me.

Antdogbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I "replaced" my front door speakers- actually I cut out the core of the old speaker extended the wire and put new ones in. It was cold and I did not feel like dealing with the door panel, now I have to replace the rear sub woofer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts