2002 Tahoe LS 4x4 oil pan gasket change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
It's annoying / messy but not a hard job

Loosen front diff, support with jack

Unclip harness from front of engine

Remove bolts securing brackets to trans lines

Remove plastic inspection covers on the bell housing

Zip the bolts off, mind that there are some bell housing bolts on there too

Jiggle wiggle it off, get under it, push the diff out of the way with your right foot, slide back of pan down and back and it pops off

Clean the fawk out of the mating surfaces. Give the guts an inspection. Do your oil pump o-ring while you're in there (When you seat it, push hard. Takes like 25lbs of force to get the o ring to pop in).

Dab of RTV in the corners (hondabond / threebond) where the covers meet the block

Toss the pan up, spend some time walking it back and forth between the bell housing bolts and snugging it to the block

Torque to spec. Go around again. Go around again

Toss the rest of the shit back together

Go grab a beer or take a nap or whatever. Give the RTV a day to cure before you fill it up

Fill with oil and bob's your auntie

If you want more details / specs let me know

OP
OP
Livebai8

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's annoying / messy but not a hard job

Loosen front diff, support with jack

Unclip harness from front of engine

Remove bolts securing brackets to trans lines

Remove plastic inspection covers on the bell housing

Zip the bolts off, mind that there are some bell housing bolts on there too

Jiggle wiggle it off, get under it, push the diff out of the way with your right foot, slide back of pan down and back and it pops off

Clean the fawk out of the mating surfaces. Give the guts an inspection. Do your oil pump o-ring while you're in there (When you seat it, push hard. Takes like 25lbs of force to get the o ring to pop in).

Dab of RTV in the corners (hondabond / threebond) where the covers meet the block

Toss the pan up, spend some time walking it back and forth between the bell housing bolts and snugging it to the block

Torque to spec. Go around again. Go around again

Toss the rest of the shit back together

Go grab a beer or take a nap or whatever. Give the RTV a day to cure before you fill it up

Fill with oil and bob's your auntie

If you want more details / specs let me know
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to get under there and study it first...then plan a day for it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Livebai8

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoken lie a true DIY'er. Good luck.
Have you seen or done this via lifting the Engine? I saw another post about loosening or removing the bolts from the motor mounts and using floor jack on the harmonic balancer to lift the motor for the clearance?? Any thoughs?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would not do that. Lifting and supporting at the balancer is not recommended and dropping other obstacles down out of the way, IS.

OP
OP
Livebai8

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not do that. Lifting and supporting at the balancer is not recommended and dropping other obstacles down out of the way, IS.
Apparently you only use that area to lift, then use block wood 2x4 I imagine between the mount and
Motor. Just wasn't sure if anyone has actually tried this method or not.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Apparently you only use that area to lift, then use block wood 2x4 I imagine between the mount and
Motor. Just wasn't sure if anyone has actually tried this method or not.

Ok, you are going to do what you are going to do but remember that none of us said to do what you may be thinking of.

Reaction score
Did this recently on an 04 silverado 4x4. We just took the diff mount bolts loose and let is hang a bit and there was plenty of room to wiggle the pan out. +2 on the o-ring. This was the reason my 05 suburban had oil pressure issues. Air was getting in past the o-ring and foaming up the oil when it was cold. No issues after the fix. Good luck with your pan. Make sure you clean out any sludge you have in there before putting it back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64