2002 Tahoe LS 4x4 oil pan gasket change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...now that I am done with my rear brakes...i really need to change the gasket on my oil pan. I've had this irritating leak and it's just time. Has anyone done this on your own? I hear it's harder to do than a on two wheel drive and I'm not sure my patience feels up to it. Let me k now your thoughts please. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Make sure you do the oil pickup o-ring while in there and maybe even the oil pump if you have the money. Cleanliness is next to Godliness when going back together. If uncomfortable, look at 2-3 you tubes for what to expect before you tackle it. Perfect time for an oil change and filter too. Clean all around that area on the engine and surrounding areas when off in case you go looking for another oil leak after you get it back together. Another thing that would help you alot is getting ALLDATAdiy.com for $29.95 and have all the info you need for your vehicle at your fingertips. TSB's, Recalls, Diagrams, schematics, repair steps, pics and diagnostic steps.

OP
OP
Livebai8

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you do the oil pickup o-ring while in there and maybe even the oil pump if you have the money. Cleanliness is next to Godliness when going back together. If uncomfortable, look at 2-3 you tubes for what to expect before you tackle it. Perfect time for an oil change and filter too. Clean all around that area on the engine and surrounding areas when off in case you go looking for another oil leak after you get it back together. Another thing that would help you alot is getting ALLDATAdiy.com for $29.95 and have all the info you need for your vehicle at your fingertips. TSB's, Recalls, Diagrams, schematics, repair steps, pics and diagnostic steps.
Yeah...my issue is that mine is 4x4 and there is alot of "extra" stuff to do to get the pan down and out... I may pay a shop to do it instead.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's why I said to look at the you tube videos so you can see what needs to be removed for access. It may be something you can tackle by yourself or with a mechanically inclined friend. Warm garage, cooler of beer, tunes, breaks for food.........doesn't get any better than that.

Oh yea it does, spend way less money. Yea, good times.

I have an 02 and I have not done it before either. I have done gobs of oil pans over the years on many rigs. Only a couple made me wish I had not done them and they were on a lift.

OP
OP
Livebai8

Livebai8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I said to look at the you tube videos so you can see what needs to be removed for access. It may be something you can tackle by yourself or with a mechanically inclined friend. Warm garage, cooler of beer, tunes, breaks for food.........doesn't get any better than that.

Oh yea it does, spend way less money. Yea, good times.

I have an 02 and I have not done it before either. I have done gobs of oil pans over the years on many rigs. Only a couple made me wish I had not done them and they were on a lift.
I'll check em out again...you are right...its fun and I enjoy it...i need a.lift in my driveway!!!!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Floor jack and tall jack stands at each end then. Doesn't matter if you choose not to do it though.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I did mine on the driveway and did not have to drop the front differential, If I can remember correctly I did loosen it up to have room to remove the pan. Its a tight fit but can be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent