2002 lousy tin can sounding stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do I have to remove the door panel to access the door speakers. Also, I’m sure GM uses its own plug at the speaker. What do I buy to make this as easy as possible.

Yes, you'll need to remove door panels to get at the speakers. If you buy speakers from Crutchfield they usually include pigtails and sometimes mounting adapters to use for your specific plugs and vehicle.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ok, there’s no woofer in the rear hatch. So it seems to be just 6 speakers. Do I have to remove the door panel to access the door speakers. Also, I’m sure GM uses its own plug at the speaker. What do I buy to make this as easy as possible.
When all the screws etc are out of the panel, pull UP, towards the sky, then out. There's hooks behind the panel that holds it onto the door. If you try pulling the panel out, you'll break those hooks.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres an amp for the subwoofer in the panel. Most people want to replace the speakers first, but the factory head unit is 20 years old, built for basic needs, and powered for really cheap factory speakers. A new (or even a 5 yr old used head unit) is going to have so many more features to get the most out of your system. You can spend thousands upgrading it to really nice, but the minimum IMO is about $200. A new head unit for about $100 will let you fine tune in your speakers and even the most basic will have a little more power than a factory unit. You can get a pair of coaxials for $40, or a little more for a set of components. Two pairs total for front and back doors, would be a big improvement. Its really not difficult, If you've done it once you can do it all in less than an hour, maybe two or three if you have to learn the simple tricks. There is a thread on upgrading the rear subwoofer or disconnect it if not your thing. Depends on what your budget is, and what you want out of it will determine where you go from there.

+1 on Crutchfield. I am a total noob but bought two new front speakers last week from Crutchfield and they came with adapters and mounting brackets.

Seriously with zero skill I did it myself. Crutchfield even emails you PDF instructions.

I got Kenwood kfc-1666s for the front for $39. Gonna do the rear doors soon.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has the non Bose, which I had in my 03. I had 6 speakers eith no factory sub or amp. Non Bose had these? Mine was owned by a real estate company, so it was never tampered with.
oh yeah, missed that. there is no sub. its 6 speakers

could be someone replaced the factory speakers with some cheap aftermarket ones and now it sounds like crap (that tends to happen), you can verify by pulling off the door panels and seeing what is in there
Or somebody bought some 200+ watt speakers thinking they were going to be great and tried to run them off the factory head unit. You can blow speakers easier with too little power than too much. If they are all blown though, they are probably factory, because I wouldn't think someone would replace all of them and leave the factory head unit in.

Ok, there’s no woofer in the rear hatch. So it seems to be just 6 speakers. Do I have to remove the door panel to access the door speakers. Also, I’m sure GM uses its own plug at the speaker. What do I buy to make this as easy as possible.
There is no GM factory plug at the speaker. Its the same flat spade terminal connector like every where else, just unplug, and plug in the new one..

I still HIGHLY recommend you replace the head unit. Unless you are going to add an amp, just get some low wattage speakers (15-30W RMS). 6 1/2 - 5 1/4" will work. Components are better than coaxials, if your budget allows it, but you should be getting low wattage so it almost doesn't matter. There should be more options in 6 1/2".

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you need to remove the door panels. You can buy speaker adapter plugs that connect to the truck speaker harness that you can connect to the new aftermarket speaker. No cutting/splicing of the factory speaker harness.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya you can always do the adapters but unless your planning on going back to stock someday then it's a unnecessary expense unless of course they are included free :)

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my buddy's 01 I did for his son, I installed a pair of Kicker KS 6.5 components in the front, KS 6.5 coaxial in the rear doors. Comp 12 2 ohm in a small sealed enclosure, all powered by CXA600.5. Used a Farenheit TI-651B head unit.

The Metra 72-4586 speaker harness adapters are less then $10 for 2 pair
The DP-3002B dash bezal was a big investment at about $100, but it fit the head perfect. Really clean look.
$30 for an amp kit an 2nd pair of RCA.

This made an incredible difference in sound quality.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my buddy's 01 I did for his son, I installed a pair of Kicker KS 6.5 components in the front, KS 6.5 coaxial in the rear doors. Comp 12 2 ohm in a small sealed enclosure, all powered by CXA600.5. Used a Farenheit TI-651B head unit.

The Metra 72-4586 speaker harness adapters are less then $10 for 2 pair
The DP-3002B dash bezal was a big investment at about $100, but it fit the head perfect. Really clean look.
$30 for an amp kit an 2nd pair of RCA.

This made an incredible difference in sound quality.
Sweet this is exactly what I need to do to my '00.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne