2002 lousy tin can sounding stereo

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by 410empanada, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Fless

Fless Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    Yes, you'll need to remove door panels to get at the speakers. If you buy speakers from Crutchfield they usually include pigtails and sometimes mounting adapters to use for your specific plugs and vehicle.

2. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    When all the screws etc are out of the panel, pull UP, towards the sky, then out. There's hooks behind the panel that holds it onto the door. If you try pulling the panel out, you'll break those hooks.

3. 410empanada

410empanada TYF Newbie

Name:
    John
    Thanks for all the info.

4. Tyler Houseknecht

Tyler Houseknecht Member

Name:
    Tyler
    +1 on Crutchfield. I am a total noob but bought two new front speakers last week from Crutchfield and they came with adapters and mounting brackets.

Seriously with zero skill I did it myself. Crutchfield even emails you PDF instructions.

I got Kenwood kfc-1666s for the front for $39. Gonna do the rear doors soon.

5. adriver

adriver Full Access Member

Name:
    Justin
    oh yeah, missed that. there is no sub. its 6 speakers

Or somebody bought some 200+ watt speakers thinking they were going to be great and tried to run them off the factory head unit. You can blow speakers easier with too little power than too much. If they are all blown though, they are probably factory, because I wouldn't think someone would replace all of them and leave the factory head unit in.

There is no GM factory plug at the speaker. Its the same flat spade terminal connector like every where else, just unplug, and plug in the new one..

I still HIGHLY recommend you replace the head unit. Unless you are going to add an amp, just get some low wattage speakers (15-30W RMS). 6 1/2 - 5 1/4" will work. Components are better than coaxials, if your budget allows it, but you should be getting low wattage so it almost doesn't matter. There should be more options in 6 1/2".

6. Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe TYF Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Yes, you need to remove the door panels. You can buy speaker adapter plugs that connect to the truck speaker harness that you can connect to the new aftermarket speaker. No cutting/splicing of the factory speaker harness.

7. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    Ya you can always do the adapters but unless your planning on going back to stock someday then it's a unnecessary expense unless of course they are included free :)

8. Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe TYF Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    In my buddy's 01 I did for his son, I installed a pair of Kicker KS 6.5 components in the front, KS 6.5 coaxial in the rear doors. Comp 12 2 ohm in a small sealed enclosure, all powered by CXA600.5. Used a Farenheit TI-651B head unit.

The Metra 72-4586 speaker harness adapters are less then $10 for 2 pair
    The DP-3002B dash bezal was a big investment at about $100, but it fit the head perfect. Really clean look.
    $30 for an amp kit an 2nd pair of RCA.

This made an incredible difference in sound quality.