2002 GMC Yukon 5.3, Want more power!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much horsepower will i get with a tune, Headers and catback?, And how much will it take for 400hp without a cam?. 145k Miles

You'd have to supercharge the truck to get to 400 horses. A tune is worth about 30-40 horses and is your biggest bang for the buck and the basis upon which all other mods build upon. The long tube headers add about 20 horses and the exhaust, not much if anything. Are those Florida skies?

OP
OP
Jeremiah_Yukon02

Jeremiah_Yukon02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You'd have to supercharge the truck to get to 400 horses. A tune is worth about 30-40 horses and is your biggest bang for the buck and the basis upon which all other mods build upon. The long tube headers add about 20 horses and the exhaust, not much if anything. Are those Florida skies?
Yes south East FL

OP
OP
Jeremiah_Yukon02

Jeremiah_Yukon02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How much would a supercharger be?, And would my truck still be reliable?.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime you tinker with tuning, there is some level of risk that you go down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out what else needs to be tweaked to make things run right.
Compensate here for this and there for that... Depending on what is done, it can be a challenge. Not impossible, but may possibly come with some headaches seeking to find that perfect balance where everything is finally just right.

Anytime you find a way to boost power substantially, you are adding stress to components that are over 15 years old and have over 100k miles on them (if the guts are left as OE stock).

Not looking to be Debbie Downer, but if this is a daily driver...
I would be reluctant to drop the $$$ for supercharger or any kind of aggressive tuning without having the engine rebuilt or swapped for a new crate engine.
We're talking old stuff here.

If just a toy and money and time are not a factor, go for it and have a blast! It sure would be a lot of fun to have this thing laying patches and smoke for miles!

For my rig, I have to make sure I can get to work tomorrow and have next to nothing extra in the bank. So I am a big chicken when it comes to anything that is a big performance booster here.

By the way... Nice looking Yukon and welcome from MA!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you have a chance... Modify your account signature to include some vehicle information. It saves time when you have an issue to be solved, you won't have to answer a ton of questions from us on what year, what engine, is it flex fuel or is it stock transmission. etc.

Having that in the tag line of posts really speeds up the process.

OP
OP
Jeremiah_Yukon02

Jeremiah_Yukon02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anytime you tinker with tuning, there is some level of risk that you go down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out what else needs to be tweaked to make things run right.
Compensate here for this and there for that... Depending on what is done, it can be a challenge. Not impossible, but may possibly come with some headaches seeking to find that perfect balance where everything is finally just right.

Anytime you find a way to boost power substantially, you are adding stress to components that are over 15 years old and have over 100k miles on them (if the guts are left as OE stock).

I would be reluctant to drop the $$$ for supercharger or any kind of aggressive tuning without having the engine rebuilt or swapped for a new crate engine.

If just a toy and money and time are not a factor, go for it and have a blast! It sure would be a lot of fun to have this thing laying patches and smoke for miles!

For my rig, I have to make sure I can get to work tomorrow and have next to nothing extra in the bank. So I am a big chicken when it comes to anything that is a big performance booster here.

By the way... Nice looking Yukon and welcome from MA!
I wouldn’t say it looks nice lol, It needs some cosmetic work aka paintjob.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As long as it has been moderately cared for, the engine would handle ( with proper tuning) 7 psi on premium fuel just fine even at 250k miles. There are people putting down high 600s on stock bottom ends reliably and repeatedly, hell a guy in my town has a Magnuson supercharger on his H2 since it was new in 2005 and it has almost 300k on it now.
Now for the elephant in the room... the 4l60e will not. The 8.5 govloc will probably die as well. So swapping in an 80e and the parts required plus upgrading the rearend to a true posi will be pricey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9