2002 Denali Camping Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is my project, 2002 Denali. I Purchased from my work with 167,000 miles. Have all maintenance records since day one. All work was completed at the dealership up untill the last few years prior to me buying it. This will be our Camping Truck. With four boys, we will get good use out of it.20160625_154437.jpg
so off camping we went....20160624_160819.jpg
Got it home and did an oil change as well as replaced the rear glass gas shocks.

Brakes sucked! Investigated and found this on the rear rotors.IMG_5163.JPG
Obviously, the rear brakes were neglected. The rear calipers had got stuck.

OP
OP
Buggdave

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrade time, and I can’t leave well enough alone. Thanks to TYF, I upgraded the front to AC Delco NNBS police calipers and did NBS police calipers in the rear and new ACdelco rotors all the way around. New GoodRidge stainless steel flex brake lines while I was in there. The rear Nivomat Z55 shock had a tear, so upgrade the shock all the way around with Procomp shocks for 3” lift, delete Z55, install 2” spacer in the rear, New Moog Z71 Coil Springs and leveling keys upfront. I also installed longer front and rear swaybar links with poly bushings. Added a 1” poly bushing upfront so the Jounce stops site correct. Had my boys help me with the change out so they can learn how to maintain their own cars in the future.IMG_5175.JPG20170407_142047.jpg20170407_142140.jpgIMG_5162.JPG

Looks much better and stops good as well.

OP
OP
Buggdave

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The steering wandered and was loose, so after some investigation, my next project was the front steering components. So while I was in there, I changed the Idler Arm, Idler Arm Bracket, Pitman arm. This lead to Tie rods and then to upper and lower control arms, all AC Delco. I went with Timken front wheel hubs and bearings. I rebuilt the power steering gear, retrofitted a rebuilt hydro boos set up with new power steering pump with the return feed for the hydroboost. All new hoses for the hydroboost and power steering pump and gear.IMG_5519.JPGIMG_5520.JPGIMG_5530.JPG
After new Cooper Discover 285/70/17 tires and an alignment, it drives great and stops fast!

OP
OP
Buggdave

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I wanted a little more out on my LQ4 so a Black Bear Autocal was next. I can tell you, best performance upgrade to date to the old beast. It breathed new life into the old girl.

Now with the Autocal EFANS were next. I purchased an OEM harness from Scottyboy. Purchased new Dorman Fans from amazon and after a little research, I decided to go a different route to trigger the Fan#2. Instead of intercepting the AC compressor trigger and using an interposing relay, I found that I could remove the auto recirculate function and use Pin 33 for the fan#2 control. Below is the settings from EFI Live and the wiring diagram I used.
1635289030086.png
1635289043178.png
Possible settings

Custom settings, 2005 truck,

1635289086255.png1635289103316.png

My wiring changes

1635289129300.png

I also upgraded the stock intake tube to an Airaid MIT. I now have great throttle response and it no longer feels like a dog going up the mountain passes. Big shout out to Black Bear Performance!

OP
OP
Buggdave

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said, I can't leave well enough alone so my next planned mod was Corvette Servo & Sonnex Super 4th Servo, TBSS intake and TBSS throttle body and TBSS fuel injectors. I found the full intake, TB & Injectors locally for $75. Because my Denali is a 2002, I do not need the expensive x-link, just some wiring changes for the TAC.
1635289979690.png
Because i wanted to use the TBSS fuel injectors, I needed to convert my connectors from the Multec II to EV6. They do make pre-wired adapters, but I did not want to go that route. I had all the tools to re-wire the EV6 connectors that came with the TBSS.
injector 1.jpg
To save as much length of the original cables, i cut off the terminals after removing them from the Multec II connector.injector 2.jpg
I added new dust jackets and then new terminals.
injector 3.jpg
Then into the new EV6 terminal. I followed a similar process for the new TBSS TB.
TB wiring.jpg

OP
OP
Buggdave

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not want to convert to a return-less fuel rail. I happened to locate a Flex Fuel cross over fuel rail that did not have the extra hump it that prevented it from fitting on the TBSS intake but had the connection to connect to the black fuel rails with my fuel pressure regulator. With just a little trimming of the brackets it fit fine and I kept my return fuel system.
Fuel Cross Over.jpgFuel Cross Over 2.jpg

OP
OP
Buggdave

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After installing the throttle body, I would get a reduced engine power code. I pulled out my TechII and noticed that the APP and the TP sensors were not matching at WOT. The percentage would follow each other up until 95%. The REP code would be set when the difference was larger than 3%.B401FE4D-5D02-46F5-A2CB-42FCE75B4E6E.jpeg

I opened up the TB and noticed that the internal gear for the throttle blade had a hard stop preventing it from reaching 100%.

FCA0AD2F-5CA7-447E-A871-EDBF41CB1766.jpeg
After a little filling I was able to get the black gear to turn till the TP sensor read 100%. Finally the APP and TP sensor match all the way to 100%.