2001 Z71 Tahoe Restoration Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTG515

Reaction score
Oh cool just seeing the update now[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I could help out. I have nearly disassembled the whole car, outside of drivetrain. Fun to share what I learned :)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been stuck on my painting thread lol However, I'm starting to dream up a build sheet. Curious if anybody knows much about these parts / has suggestions.

1. Projector Headlights:

There's one set on amazon and only really one set. Not sure if they are any good. I'll probably stick to the halogen bulbs. Not sure if anybody knows of any other headlight lenses that are pretty slick looking.

2. Light bar:

Will be on top of truck, however, I don't like them above the windshield. I like them further back. Will build a custom bracket to mount off existing roof rack mounting bolts. The distance there is 48" between the two bolts. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE a Baja Designs light bar. However, they cost about as much as I paid for the truck lol Somebody said rough country is a good compromise and good quality? This one looks decent enough HERE Anybody have any other light bar suggestions?

3. LQ4 6.0L:

I'm looking for an old work van or truck to pull the motor out of. I will build it up with a mild cam, full roller rockers, port and polish the heads possibly throttle body too, and full overhaul. I don't know what cam and that yet but suppose I will figure it out.

4. Built 4L60E or 4L80E:

I'm not sure which is better. I would like to do a little towing with the Tahoe, mainly though will be for going on forest roads (off roading but no rock crawling) and road trips. Will pull my Corvette to races in a covered trailer. I will build the transmission. Have all the overhall information just don't know what parts will serve me best. I need a build sheet for a sweet 4L60E (or 4L80E).

4.b. Transmission cooler:

This is getting done regardless. I am going to swap out the factory cooler and put in one of those Tru Cool. However, I don't like their rubber lines. I need to figure out how to bend my own metal lines and make line sets to adapt to factory transmission cooler lines.

5. Exhaust:

I'm going to snag some long tube headers. I'll ceramic coat them myself. I'm not sure what specs to look for though. I am sure larger diameter is better? However, what's the stock specs?

6. Custom Built Stereo:

I have a masters in computer engineering. Hope to find time to build my own amplifier (or piece one together). Inside I want to add a power inverter and wire truck with a couple 115v AC plugs as well. I'd love to keep the stock location for the amp behind the glove box but not sure if I can build the amp small enough. Additionally, I want to build an adapter that plugs in, in place of the tape deck to do Bluetooth with all the controls through the factory head unit.

7: Rear End:

The case with my G80 in it blew up and took out the pinion as well as ring gears. I put on a open diff 10 bolt. Eventually I'd like to get the G80 back on there. But love the idea of a full floating rear end. Not sure if I'd build a 14 bolt w/ G80 and disk brake conversion. Only reason is I'm not sure how strong / reliable the 10 bolt is for towing.

8: Tire pump:

I have this crazy idea to mount a viair air compressor above the spare tire if I can find space. Then have a connection off the rear bumper to hookup a hose and air up tires. I carry a compressor in all my cars but would love to have one mounted below so I don't have to trip over it inside.

9: Rubber Flooring:

I want to get the rubber flooring for the rear of the truck. Just the back seat area. I'm stupid and didn't pull it at the salvage yard. Then they crushed the fire department tahoe that had it in it :(