2001 Z71 Tahoe Restoration Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to paint the lower body line of my black Z71 in Raptor Liner (hard coated bed liner) and add 10% factory paint to color match it once I replace the rockets in the summer.

I have issues with undercoating staying tacky so I assume rubberized bed liner would yield similar results.
I had seen that raptor liner. I didnt know much about it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got most of the PlastiDip off. WD40 did the trick, best way hands down to get it off. I want to paint it but need a few tools.

First I want to purchase a variable speed random orbital polisher. Any suggestions on what is a good one?

I want to polish the truck I think a few of the panels maybe decent and not need a base / color coat.

Below are a few pics... hood is stubborn, still needs most of plastidip removed. Likely will have to remove hood to get it off then paint hood while removed.

One side of truck has extensive clear coat damage as well... I am assuming was parked outside for yrs with that side more exposed to Arizona sun. 66b09a04452272bdc5410c36ae1fa9f4.jpg
490f057622bd84d9f426fdc27de713ea.jpg
702d08d6e8e3740f496df5e0cc0c1e91.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still working away on the tahoe. The list of items to fix grows as I take more things appart lol but runs great. Got back from a 1500 mile roadtrip. No problems what so ever.

As i fix more squeeks and rattles I find new ones. It seems these plastuc door panel covers squeek. Anybody got a decent fix for that and or process to rebuild them?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks are awesome. The old LIKE A ROCK advertising is true, at least when it comes to chassis and drive train. I feel like the more I drive this truck the better it gets.

I have different opinion on interior. My buddy has a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder (before bought out by Renault). It's got 215,000 miles on it. Off Roaded several times a week. No rattles (aside from rear hatch). Never polished on inside, parked outside last 3 years in Arizona. No problems with interior trim at all. That's impressive. Only thing he's done is change oil, service radiator, tires, and new front shocks. Original transmission fluid and gear oil in diff (is very bad to do that but darn surprised it still works).

LTG515

Reaction score
Hey there.

Love reading through this build and it’s looking real good! I’ve got an 04 Tahoe Z71 and am looking to refresh the suspension.

Would you mind talking a little about the bilsteins you put on? Are they the 5100 series for 2500 frames? If so, how do they feel? Are you running a heavier load? Also, do you have the part number by chance?

Anyways, looking forward to following your progress.

Best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try and figure out exact part numbers. They are 5100s I do know that much. Bilsteins are stock for Z71. The 5100 has more travel though if you have leveled truck.

I LOVE the shocks. Money well spent.

I'm not sure what you mean be heavier load?
I used the part Bilstein recommended for my model truck 2001 Z71 Tahoe. I didn't use anything spec'ed for HD chassis.

Previous owner of my truck had put on Monroe shocks so I never got to test the stock Z71 Bilstein shocks. I can say the Bilsteins are WAY better than the Monroe shocks I replaced. I found out about 5100's because previous owner didn't have enough travel on shocks to support his leveling kit. I bought the car and first time off road ripped off the shock because was insufficient travel. I researched and found the 5100's.

UPPDATE: Here's the parts I have on my truck. Maybe different for 2004 Tahoe so double check for your year.

Ordered 2 of Bilstein 24-187237 HERE for rear of truck
Ordered 2 of Bilstein 24-186643 HERE for front of truck

Heads up Billstein now makes a version of 5100 with a reservoir system. You may like to consider it depending on what you use truck for. If I had it to do over again I'd probably have ordered these with the external reservoirs. Possibly overkill but I do do quite a bit of driving on minimum / no maintenance forest roads. I believe these shocks have similar dampening but reduce work load on shock / heat so they last longer. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

Bilstein 25-187601 HERE for rear
Bilstein 25-176407 HERE for front

Double check with Bilstein parts catalog for Tahoe HERE (again double check for your year. I looked up 2001 for my truck) You may need a different shock if you have your truck lifted / have changed suspension geometry. The parts above will support a torsen key leveling but nothing more. I honestly don't believe in lifting our trucks much more than a leveling kit if at all because makes them less streetable. Rock crawlers don't go down the highway too well ;)

Last edited:

LTG515

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply! Yea I’ve seen those remote reservoir ones. Look super cool. It will of course be a daily driver so mainly street use. The off roading it will/has seen so far is moderate speed forest service roads and real low speed 4x4 trails.

I don’t want anything crazy as far as suspension goes (well I do but don’t have that type of money haha!) so I’m confident the 5100s are the way to go. I thought I saw you mention you put HD bilsteins on all four corners so was interested about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9