2001 Yukon XL - BTR stage 1 cam ECU tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InterceptorF

Reaction score
I just did a basic rebuild on a 2001 LM7 for my Yukon XL (rings, bearings, seals) and added a BTR stage1 cam/springs/trunion upgrade to it. The beast started right up! woohoo! The only issue I am now having is that the Yukon XL has a bad knock when accelerating. I have ruled out the rod bearings because its only happening when accelerating so I am pretty sure the stock ECU program can't handle the cam profile. I live in Colorado Springs so looking to get the ECU tuned. I use the Yukon XL for pheasant hunting and pulling a camper to Kansas and that starts November 12 so hoping to get the knock out of it by then. Not sure who in Colorado Springs would be the right shop to take it to for the tuning? I don't need a race car tune but more of a torque/tow tune. Any one have a shop in the area that they would recommend?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did a basic rebuild on a 2001 LM7 for my Yukon XL (rings, bearings, seals) and added a BTR stage1 cam/springs/trunion upgrade to it. The beast started right up! woohoo! The only issue I am now having is that the Yukon XL has a bad knock when accelerating. I have ruled out the rod bearings because its only happening when accelerating so I am pretty sure the stock ECU program can't handle the cam profile. I live in Colorado Springs so looking to get the ECU tuned. I use the Yukon XL for pheasant hunting and pulling a camper to Kansas and that starts November 12 so hoping to get the knock out of it by then. Not sure who in Colorado Springs would be the right shop to take it to for the tuning? I don't need a race car tune but more of a torque/tow tune. Any one have a shop in the area that they would recommend?
You might get more help in the 2001 section than in the 2021+ section, so hopefully one of the mods can move it. @Fless

Blackbear performance can get you a startup tune for that cam that will get you going through their Autocal v3 device. It ain't cheap but the results are excellent. After that they have you drive a few miles with some full throttle pulls using their autocal device connected to the OBD2 port to log the data. You email them those files and they email you back a tune designed specifically for the way your truck is running, including a tune for the transmission to tighten up the shifts (better durability and drivability). I used them for my cam swaps and am super happy with the results.

Based on the way you describe it though, you could have an exhaust manifold leak. They are a dead ringer for a bad lifter when they start leaking.

OP
OP
InterceptorF

InterceptorF

Reaction score
Ah damn - 2021 - hmm didnt catch that - I guess I should move this post the 2001 section. So I did have a loose bolt on the exhaust manifold which once tight got rid of a slight 'tick' but the engine is still pre-detonating pretty bad and I am pretty sure its the cam// timing is way off - if it were a distributor I'd be twisting it to get it out. This is the first ECU controlled vehicle I've cammed - probably the last one too since tuning it is $o expenSive.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does sound like you need an updated tune for your new cam. I'm a faithful and happy Black Bear Performance (BBP) customer. They do great work and will wake up the performance of your vehicle. Unfortunately, recently they have been a bit backlogged with work and do not provide the most timely response. Unlikely you would get a tune by November 12th. Best bet would be to find someplace local that could perform that tune.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Do you have knock sensor codes check engine light on?So the engine knocks at all speeds part throttle or only full throttle.I would cal around also for a tune but possible its something internal.What are the specs on the cam

OP
OP
InterceptorF

InterceptorF

Reaction score
So that engine had bad 'piston slap' per RMCR who charged me a $$$ to tune it. It barely made 250 HP. I pulled that engine back out and put the original one back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos