2001 tahoe key fob part number question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so why not just put in a aftermarket keyless entry or alarm and be done with it?, that would solve all the problem, as for the freq of the remote no one is going to be running around with a freq counter checking cars for incorrect remotes nobody would ever know the difference and slim to none chance of it ever affecting anything since the code is revolving. I will note I have never seen a gm alarm/keyless entry fob ever stop a (gmt800) truck from starting if the key is used. the only thing that would stop it is if the ignition lock was bad (hall-sensor or the associated passlock module), the key overrides anything the fob could do once the key is on, you could arm the alarm with the fob all day long, smash with a hammer, then just stick the key in and start the truck and drive away, the door lock is mechanical the key will open it always, the ignition is mechanical the key will always turn it, the only thing stopping it from starting is the hall sensor or passlock module (key overrides the fob)

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't we talking about two different things here? You can still unlock the vehicle with the key if the remote dies after you set it. You can still drive it with the key. If the vehicle doesn't start that is the passlock, and not the same thing as the remote lock/unlock.

OP
OP
daol

daol

Reaction score
Well yeah I want another key for both for unlocking the car, but mainly so I can start the car without having problems with the pass lock system, since if my one and only key fob would stop working, I'm screwed , asked a few companies that have boxes to bypass the pass lock system, but since I have a non USA sold car, with different alarm frequencies etc, they can't say for sure if it will work, so right now I'm at the point that i don't care about getting another fob, all i want is to kill that darn passlock system

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yeah I want another key for both for unlocking the car, but mainly so I can start the car without having problems with the pass lock system, since if my one and only key fob would stop working, I'm screwed , asked a few companies that have boxes to bypass the pass lock system, but since I have a non USA sold car, with different alarm frequencies etc, they can't say for sure if it will work, so right now I'm at the point that i don't care about getting another fob, all i want is to kill that darn passlock system
just get a alarm with keyless entry put in, it bypasses the passlock system, then you just take that one oem fob and stick it in a drawer, you wont need it anymore.

OP
OP
daol

daol

Reaction score
Hmm, might be a dumb question but, how does a new alarm bypass the immobilizer/passlock system, since it's so"built into" the car it can't just be deactivated, the passlock components are still there, plus the system in the car's computer box, or do I need some form of alarm with it's own immobilizer that replaces the one in passlock?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, might be a dumb question but, how does a new alarm bypass the immobilizer/passlock system, since it's so"built into" the car it can't just be deactivated, the passlock components are still there, plus the system in the car's computer box, or do I need some form of alarm with it's own immobilizer that replaces the one in passlock?
a aftermarket alarm would be installed after the passlock system, almost all of the alarms incorporate a starter-kill of there own, plus you can add other sensors like a glass sensor so if someone breaks a window the alarm will go off, the factory system wont trigger unless a door is opened, thieves know this so they just break the window and crawl in and do whatever they want as long as they don't open the door the alarm will never go off.

OP
OP
daol

daol

Reaction score
Aha ok, well I live in a small town, and park in a garage sp I'm not that worried about having it stolen or damaged, if I get an alarm it's only in order to kill the passlock system, so for that reason I don't see any point in spending alot on a really good alarm system:)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aha ok, well I live in a small town, and park in a garage sp I'm not that worried about having it stolen or damaged, if I get an alarm it's only in order to kill the passlock system, so for that reason I don't see any point in spending alot on a really good alarm system:)
well that should work anyway, the remotes operate the same way as the oem they just use the alarm module instead of the factory system and it will give a little added security over the factory system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne