2001 Suburban stock speaker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and insight. Looks like Crutchfield is the clear winner here :) I should have initially specified that I DEFINITELY want to replace the head unit, as Bluetooth capability is mandatory. I will give them a holler regarding that too.

Good to know, regarding your desire to replace your head unit. Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, and Alpine are favorites of folks here in the Forum, with Kenwood and Pioneer being the most popular (not necessarily because they are better than the other two).

One item to note, however, regarding aftermarket head units and their power output. While aftermarket head units 'may' have increased power over your OEM head unit, most of them won't deliver more than 40 watts RMS per channel for power output. While 40 watts RMS is a good amount of power, you still need to make sure that the speakers that you select and purchase will produce good sound and volume at 40 watts RMS, as some aftermarket speakers, particularly higher quality speakers, will not operate at peak performance with only 40 watts RMS (though many will).

Raserx63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Question about your Sony. Does it pick whatever radio station it wants for you? I have a Sony that looks the same, I love it, CarPlay etc. but the radio part (admittedly don’t use it often) is crap. It will change radio station every time I get in the car. It also tried to put words on the presets, so I never know what frequency is what. Annoying.
Gee thats odd... I haven't experienced anything like that with this unit. Maybe something not wired correctly and its resetting when you shut the truck off? I don't know..

Ken Rolls

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a new to me 2001 Suburban and a majority of the speakers are blown. I wanted to ask you guys for brand recommendations to upgrade all the stock speakers. Would like a rich sound, but I prefer not to go the route of subs/amps/wiring etc., as they will probably just get stolen where I live. Just prefer to look at some stock replacements for the doors/panels.
I just installed a set of autotek 3way 6.5s in my 02 burb. $44.95 for all 4 off eBay. Took an hour to do all 4. Used the factory retainer on the front doors. Screwed in the rear. Ordered a planet audio 8 for the rear but in the mean time wired a 15 Memphis sub to the factory output. It bangs pretty good since it's a 2ohm configuration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne