2001 Denali 6.0 LQ4 Regular or Premium?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rmkuper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What are you all running in the 6.0 LQ4? Manual say regular. I'm really particular about my Camaro 6.2 L99. I only run 91 Shell Vpower. I take it to the extreme by filling at the same station and same pump. But I only put 3K a year max on the camaro. With the Yukon I'm gonna be broke at this rate. Yall think 87 is ok?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The compression ratio determines what octane gas is needed. If the manual says 87 octane then 87 it is. Using anything higher than 87 is just throwing money out the window. Filling at the same pump? You realize all the pumps draw from the same underground tanks, right? The OCD struggle is real..here.

OP
OP
Rmkuper

Rmkuper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The compression ratio determines what octane gas is needed. If the manual says 87 octane then 87 it is. Using anything higher than 87 is just throwing money out the window. Filling at the same pump? You realize all the pumps draw from the same underground tanks, right? The OCD struggle is real..here.
Thanks for the info. Fully aware...don't judge.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
87 is fine. When I had one I logged it with HPTuners and more octane had no benefit.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Run what the owner's manual says.

I run premium. But I also have a tune on it - mainly for tweaking transmission shift behavior but it adjusted some timing as well. Couldn't tell ya if it makes any difference, but for the $2-3 per fill difference, I'm not losing sleep over it.

I've heard mixed reports of owners with tremendously carbon'd / dirty engines benefiting from running premium. But that's the extent of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN