2001 5.3 AC compressor locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1yesfan

Reaction score
My has been squawking at me for a time off and on. Well it locked on the wife this weekend. What type of job would this be to replace the compressor? I just did coilovers on my Miata, is this that hard?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
It's not hard. More the equipment needed. assuming the compressor seized and didn't introduce any contaminants to the system:

You'll need an evac/recharge machine with leak testing capability

You'll want to evacuate the system, replace the compressor, replace the drier, replace the orifice tube, add oil to the system appropriate to what came out and the parts you are replacing, pull a vacuum for 30-45 mins to dry the system, leak check it for 30 minutes, then install a measured amount of refrigerant to the quantity specified

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
No real straight answer. Depends on the labor rates of the shop and what parts they use. Figure they'll want to replace the compressor, drier, expansion valve, belt, evac/recharge costs at a minimum. Some places will want to either flush the system or replace the condenser / evap cores too due to liability concerns if the compressor let go and dumped debris into the system. Call around a few places and get some quotes. Won't take you but a few minutes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons