2000 Yukon..Heat issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Shipley

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

So I have this 2000 Yukon I bought as my winter ride / work beast. As its getting pretty cold now, ive been using the heat and lately the heat from the dash is just WEAK. it takes forever to get warm if it even decides to. Now, my rear heat is perfect and warms up just as you would expect. Where should I start with diagnosing this because I want to figure this out asap before its really cold? This is frustrating bc I bought it for winter and to give my Camaro a break but I wound up taking the cover off the Camaro this morning and taking it to work after giving up on the defrost trying to clear the windshield for over 15 minutes. The truck gets up to temp just fine and no overheat issues or anything like that.

Appreciate any help,

Adam
There are three temperature actuators in the dash. What is easy to get to on the left side. 2 more there's one in the center and one on the right sign that are a little difficult to get to. Bjorn Anderson and clicking noise in the dash that is a little gear on a screw called that has worn out and it's clicking. This is on the fancy control with the automatic temperature control Zone control good luck

Black Limited

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

So I have this 2000 Yukon I bought as my winter ride / work beast. As its getting pretty cold now, ive been using the heat and lately the heat from the dash is just WEAK. it takes forever to get warm if it even decides to. Now, my rear heat is perfect and warms up just as you would expect. Where should I start with diagnosing this because I want to figure this out asap before its really cold? This is frustrating bc I bought it for winter and to give my Camaro a break but I wound up taking the cover off the Camaro this morning and taking it to work after giving up on the defrost trying to clear the windshield for over 15 minutes. The truck gets up to temp just fine and no overheat issues or anything like that.

Appreciate any help,

Adam

Check if your temperature control actuator is working, also the control panel controller might be bad.

montegutman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

Appreciate any help,

Adam
Most likely is the Mode Door Actuator Motor is bad (shorted by too much grease from the factory). I replaced all four door actuator motors on my 2005 Yukon as it had the random blowing Hot/Cold thru passenger side and driver side. When I opened all four OEM motors , their position feedback contacts were All shorted by excessive grease from the factory. I have owned my Yukon since new, and it had the problem since new. There is much info on this online, and it should have been a recall by GM. It affects All GM products from early 1990's thru late 2000's. Your mode door actuator is attached to a cam that selects direction of air flow to floor, dash, defrost (windshield for defrost) and is likely stopped working in a partial cycle where full air flow is Not directed fully to the defrost mode. I bought aftermarket motors for all but the Mode Door as I wanted the Cam along with the new motor. It was the cheapest at approx. $58.00 on amazon. The other three aftermarket motors were under $30.00 each. From GM each motor was over $160.00 each. Mine has been working Great now since replacing all four motors last January 2019. Best of luck with this as it was a painful experience.
montegutman

montegutman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most likely is the Mode Door Actuator Motor is bad (shorted by too much grease from the factory). I replaced all four door actuator motors on my 2005 Yukon as it had the random blowing Hot/Cold thru passenger side and driver side. When I opened all four OEM motors , their position feedback contacts were All shorted by excessive grease from the factory. I have owned my Yukon since new, and it had the problem since new. There is much info on this online, and it should have been a recall by GM. It affects All GM products from early 1990's thru late 2000's. Your mode door actuator is attached to a cam that selects direction of air flow to floor, dash, defrost (windshield for defrost) and is likely stopped working in a partial cycle where full air flow is Not directed fully to the defrost mode. I bought aftermarket motors for all but the Mode Door as I wanted the Cam along with the new motor. It was the cheapest at approx. $58.00 on amazon. The other three aftermarket motors were under $30.00 each. From GM each motor was over $160.00 each. Mine has been working Great now since replacing all four motors last January 2019. Best of luck with this as it was a painful experience.
montegutman
Additional Note:
All replacement motors, both the GM Mode Door with Cam and aftermarket Driver side & Passenger side, and the Fresh Air/Recirculation motors feedback contacts were flooded with grease and would shortly after installation become electrically shorted. So, I recommend to all who do these replacements to open the replacement actuators and clean the excess grease off the feedback fingers and contacts. Again, a Painful Experience! montegutman

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
i actually haven't had the time to mess with it but its become less of a worry since once I made this post originally, the front heat hasn't given me a single issue. Im sure once it becomes real inconvenient, like 2* day itll act up again lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14