2000 Yukon..Heat issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm almost done replacing my heater core right now. It involves pulling the dash complete back so that you can get the heater core/AC evaporator enclosure out. If you don't mind spending $1000 labor you might just take it somewhere. The core itself costs $25 so it's mostly labor. If you do plan on doing it yourself, I've found everyone here is super helpful. Just don't get in a hurry and break something off. If it's not loose, something is holding it.

These 2 YouTubes have been the most helpful and I've watched both several times. The first one is the best IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide and don't be afraid to ask questions.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm almost done replacing my heater core right now. It involves pulling the dash complete back so that you can get the heater core/AC evaporator enclosure out. If you don't mind spending $1000 labor you might just take it somewhere. The core itself costs $25 so it's mostly labor. If you do plan on doing it yourself, I've found everyone here is super helpful. Just don't get in a hurry and break something off. If it's not loose, something is holding it.

These 2 YouTubes have been the most helpful and I've watched both several times. The first one is the best IMO. Good luck with whatever you decide and don't be afraid to ask questions.

$25 heater core? Tell me you got an AC Delco or GM core? What brand core did you get? Four Seasons? Etc........

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Lots of times durability is determined by the cleanliness of the cooling system and the mileage in those 3 years. Also, if it ever overheated that extra pressure can cause problems with core units like a radiator and heater core and even plastic valves and you name it. As long as I know I am keeping my rig it will always get oe parts when I can. It is always, and should be, your choice with any of this. The labor intensity alone is enough for me to bite the bullet for oe parts.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of times durability is determined by the cleanliness of the cooling system and the mileage in those 3 years. Also, if it ever overheated that extra pressure can cause problems with core units like a radiator and heater core and even plastic valves and you name it. As long as I know I am keeping my rig it will always get oe parts when I can. It is always, and should be, your choice with any of this. The labor intensity alone is enough for me to bite the bullet for oe parts.

I appreciate the advice. I would have paid the extra money if I'd seen this before I ordered it. It was about $75 more but more than worth it if this ever goes out.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possibly blowing cold air out one side and hot from the other, such as hot passenger side and cold driver side?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
i'm sitting here wondering why no one has suggested checking the front blend door actuator? if the rear works fine that means the system is working properly, that leaves only 2 likely scenario's 1. the front blend door is not working properly. 2. possible front heater core clogged but it is much less likely.
it wont cost you any money to take off the passenger side bottom kick panel and check the hot/cold blend door for proper operation, you can even take off the actuator and turn the door by hand and feel for hot/cold air to verify

When in my shops, I cannot tell you how many times I got or a tech got "tunnel vision" and could not think outside the box from the track we were on during a diagnosis. We just needed someone like yourself to jar us awake to other possibilities. Gets worse as you get older too.

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
Is it possibly blowing cold air out one side and hot from the other, such as hot passenger side and cold driver side?

Nope. all the dash vents are same temp. Just took it to lunch with some of the guys from work and the heat was working flawless. Odd

Bob D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

So I have this 2000 Yukon I bought as my winter ride / work beast. As its getting pretty cold now, ive been using the heat and lately the heat from the dash is just WEAK. it takes forever to get warm if it even decides to. Now, my rear heat is perfect and warms up just as you would expect. Where should I start with diagnosing this because I want to figure this out asap before its really cold? This is frustrating bc I bought it for winter and to give my Camaro a break but I wound up taking the cover off the Camaro this morning and taking it to work after giving up on the defrost trying to clear the windshield for over 15 minutes. The truck gets up to temp just fine and no overheat issues or anything like that.

Appreciate any help,

Adam
Your Yukon has 2 different HVAC systems, since you are having trouble with the front, start by checking the blower fan as well as the coil, it my be packing with debris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14