2000 Tahoe..Timing Chain Slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the new set yet. Will be here sometime this week. I can see the timing marks on mine, will line them up. What I'm worried about is the three keyways on the new sprockets vs the one keyway on my crankshaft.

I'll have to get a couple pictures together to better explain. Pictures are always good

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a combination of keyways on timing sets. My experience has been they All have Zero marks so you can determine cam advance / retard with degree wheel.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Use the keyway that aligns your gears like the old ones. The multiple keyway slots is for racing and will change timing and give more adjustment that you would not have with just turning the distributor. You can see videos at you tube about that. I know guys, way back when, that when we were doing dirt track winged sprint cars would do that with the crank gear.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The set I put in y '93 5.7 had three key slots. There will be a note with what each one is. Unless you're souping the engine up, go the stock setting. My chain had jumped two notches. How it kept running is beyond me. It just ran rough and after running for 30 minutes, the exhaust header was 175 degrees. I'm working on it as I get time but I expect power, heater output and economy will all improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442