2000 Tahoe service 4WD light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjybilcom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tahoe that I traded for a motorcycle. Have a service 4WD light on, it was grabbing like it might be in 4WD and the transmission was slipping. Had the transmission rebuilt, have replaced the 4WD switch on the dash, transfer case control module, 4WD actuator in the front differential, another transfer case shift motor. Still have the service 4WD light, but I still have to put the front driveshaft back in and replace the crossmember before I can lower it and see if it's drivable. Any ideas?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Put a scanner on it and see what code(s) you're getting for the 4WD system; there's a code that goes with the message. A Tech 2 would be an excellent scanner to use.

OP
OP
R

rjybilcom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Put a scanner on it and see what code(s) you're getting for the 4WD system; there's a code that goes with the message. A Tech 2 would be an excellent scanner to use.
I have a basic scanner but I don't think it picks up transmission codes.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The 4x4 code would start with a "C".

Some auto parts places have a little more advanced scanners that will read these codes; they'll either come out and read them for you or loan you the scanner to use in their parking lot.

ScottH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m having the same issue with my 2008. I also replaced the switch and transfer control module. I also don’t have a sophisticated enough code reader to check transmission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't having anything that felt like "grabbing" or any other symptoms, but I did have Service 4WD message on my information center display.
Some of our experienced members suggested I might have a dirty commutator on the 4WD actuator.

They may have been right. After selecting the different modes a few times up and down the buttons, switching in and out of every mode a couple of times.
I never had the message return.

Now, when I think of it, I will shift out of 2WD and exercise the actuator in and out of the other 4x4 modes a few times.
Usually on a gravel parking lot or very short distances on pavement that are straight.
I like the gravel lot and use that most of the time, running the different modes in forward and reverse.
I also put into 4L, because I know that was probably never done before by PO.

Note to anyone with just the message on the info. center display and no other weird 4x4 symptoms or noises: Before replacing parts, try exercising the actuator with hitting the different buttons to move from mode to mode first. It may fix itself just by getting exercised a bit. I feared the worst at first, then ended up having to basically do nothing involving parts or money.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that I’d recommend, in addition to all that’s already been suggested, is checking the fluid condition and level in the transfer case to make sure everybody is good there.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't having anything that felt like "grabbing" or any other symptoms, but I did have Service 4WD message on my information center display.
Some of our experienced members suggested I might have a dirty commutator on the 4WD actuator.

They may have been right. After selecting the different modes a few times up and down the buttons, switching in and out of every mode a couple of times.
I never had the message return.

Now, when I think of it, I will shift out of 2WD and exercise the actuator in and out of the other 4x4 modes a few times.
Usually on a gravel parking lot or very short distances on pavement that are straight.
I like the gravel lot and use that most of the time, running the different modes in forward and reverse.
I also put into 4L, because I know that was probably never done before by PO.

Note to anyone with just the message on the info. center display and no other weird 4x4 symptoms or noises: Before replacing parts, try exercising the actuator with hitting the different buttons to move from mode to mode first. It may fix itself just by getting exercised a bit. I feared the worst at first, then ended up having to basically do nothing involving parts or money.
Yup. Thats the stereotypical behavior and fix of a dirty commutator in the Tcase shift motor. They get worn and dirty from sitting in the same spot which is usually 2wd for long periods of time. The commutator can be replaced individually but the shift motor of course has to be yanked down to do it.

Rolexus

Reaction score
You need to validate the ground wire behind the intake to the block is good as well as the two ground wires under the driver door.
Yup - it’s been awhile, but I followed this suggestion a few years ago. I found the black ground wire in the harness (drivers side, near manifold) and created another ground off of this wire (splice into but leaving original in tact), attaching this ‘new‘ ground directly to a grounding point on the fire wall. Helped to super-ground the system

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989