2000 Tahoe inside/outside air door goes bump bump bump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that helps a lot, thank you for providing this! This is going to require some serious study but the pictures will be invaluable! Thanks again for taking the time to take and post these!!
Not sure how you got your dash cover off but I had to watch a few video's because it was really stuck on there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
Not sure how you got your dash cover off but I had to watch a few video's because it was really stuck on there. Be careful they are really easy to crack.
Well, it took a lot of cussing, to be honest. I too watched a bunch of videos and when I felt brave enough, I jumped in. The first time I pulled it was to fix the PRND21 indicator on the instrument cluster, but I don't recall if I pulled the cover completely or just tipped it up out of the way. This last time, I had a particular fight with the grab bar over the glove box. First time it was a piece of cake, but apparently somewhere along the line something got bound up in the sockets and I had to really be inventive(both with removal and with colorful language) to finally get the bar out. I noticed this time that the same thing happened when replacing the bar, but I'm prepared for it now. Won't enjoy it, but expect it and not being surprised can mean an awful lot!!

Thanks again for the pix, they're really excellent and should help a great deal! This might be something worth documenting if it would help others along the way. Need to think about that. . . . :)

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already did, thanks!! Got it on order so next time I get crazy I'll be ready for bear!
Where did you order it from ? You could just Disconnect it but you might as well fix it as long as your in there. I went half the winter with a disconnected Mode Door till I finally fixed it. OH Do Not Test it first just install it and plug it in. I made the mistake of testing it first even know it was new (GM) and they can rotate to far and will have to be re-calibrated. Just Plug and Play.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it took a lot of cussing, to be honest. I too watched a bunch of videos and when I felt brave enough, I jumped in. The first time I pulled it was to fix the PRND21 indicator on the instrument cluster, but I don't recall if I pulled the cover completely or just tipped it up out of the way. This last time, I had a particular fight with the grab bar over the glove box. First time it was a piece of cake, but apparently somewhere along the line something got bound up in the sockets and I had to really be inventive(both with removal and with colorful language) to finally get the bar out. I noticed this time that the same thing happened when replacing the bar, but I'm prepared for it now. Won't enjoy it, but expect it and not being surprised can mean an awful lot!!

Thanks again for the pix, they're really excellent and should help a great deal! This might be something worth documenting if it would help others along the way. Need to think about that. . . . :)
Yes the Grab Bar even watched a video but I thought you push that white plastic pin up and like you had a heck of a time until I looked at it close with a flashlite and figured out you push it to the side not up.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Where did you order it from ? You could just Disconnect it but you might as well fix it as long as your in there. I went half the winter with a disconnected Mode Door till I finally fixed it. OH Do Not Test it first just install it and plug it in. I made the mistake of testing it first even know it was new (GM) and they can rotate to far and will have to be re-calibrated. Just Plug and Play.
Sorry for the late reply! I ordered it from carpartswholesale.com. I've done a lot of business with them over the years so ordered from the. It was here in a couple of days.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
UPDATE - I FIXED IT!!!! It wasn't pretty or simple but thanks to JonnyTahoe's pictures, its done and working! I've been a technician all my life and have had to put things in a lot of places others said was impossible so I've never been afraid to rip stuff up, and thats kinda what I did what I did.

After some significant and very serious language, I could not figure out how to get to it from below. I finally decided the Hell with it, and got out the vibra-saw. Once I removed the u-shaped metal bracket, I sawed the black tube in half. That gave me enough room to get into the 2 screws. FWIW, my Tahoe only had 2 screws so that was a lucky break. Getting the old one out wasn't simple but it came out. Putting the new one back in required a lot of the aforementioned language, but back it went. A little duct tape and reassembly, and another actuator replaced!

Thanks again to Jonnytahoe and everyone else who offered ideas and encouragement! This place is the best!

20210425_161817.jpg 20210425_161847.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy