2000 Tahoe 5.3 w/ traction control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lostnwt1972

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a strange problem.. which I might know the answer ( MAYBE ). My Tahoe ( 2000 5.3 T vin ) which I bought back in '99 new ( 4 miles on the odometer ) keeps throwing the traction control light on when its cold, not allowing for full acceleration. Now, there's only 265K miles on it as of today, and I've never changed out the timing chain since I bought it. Gas mileage is getting some what worse in the past couple months. Once it warms up for a few seconds or after getting to run temp. its fine ( for the most point ). I'm also getting what I've been told the " death rattle " from the front end, not all the time, just under heavy acceleration. I'm just worried that it might be more than just the timing chain, and not really want to put too much time and money into this vs. just buying a new motor. Any suggestion????

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a strange problem.. which I might know the answer ( MAYBE ). My Tahoe ( 2000 5.3 T vin ) which I bought back in '99 new ( 4 miles on the odometer ) keeps throwing the traction control light on when its cold, not allowing for full acceleration. Now, there's only 265K miles on it as of today, and I've never changed out the timing chain since I bought it. Gas mileage is getting some what worse in the past couple months. Once it warms up for a few seconds or after getting to run temp. its fine ( for the most point ). I'm also getting what I've been told the " death rattle " from the front end, not all the time, just under heavy acceleration. I'm just worried that it might be more than just the timing chain, and not really want to put too much time and money into this vs. just buying a new motor. Any suggestion????
Traction control problem caused by the timing chain? Whatchu talkin bout willis?

Check engine light on? Codes?

Brake light on? ABS light on? Codes?

You dont have a traction control button to turn it off until you can get the problem fixed?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is the second post in the past two months about the timing chain. This isn't a Gen1 SBC. The timing chain is hardly a wear item in an LS engine.

What's this "death rattle" you speak of? Could it be detonation under heavy acceleration? Next time the tank is low, fill up, if even just halfway with 93 and see if the noise goes away or is reduced. That and the traction control light are most likely not related. You could have a simple failed sensor or faulty connection making it think you have wheel slip/spin, and it's reducing power to regain the traction it thinks it has lost.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the second post in the past two months about the timing chain. This isn't a Gen1 SBC. The timing chain is hardly a wear item in an LS engine.

What's this "death rattle" you speak of? Could it be detonation under heavy acceleration? Next time the tank is low, fill up, if even just halfway with 93 and see if the noise goes away or is reduced. That and the traction control light are most likely not related. You could have a simple failed sensor or faulty connection making it think you have wheel slip/spin, and it's reducing power to regain the traction it thinks it has lost.
I suspect his "death rattle" is in reference to the Dodge death rattle cause by excessively worn front suspension/steering parts. So he may need his front end inspected and replace worn suspension/steering parts.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Death "wobble" I would think. Unless it's something in the engine.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Death "wobble" I would think. Unless it's something in the engine.

That's where my mind went when I read that. I've danced with Death Wobble in SFA vehicles. Things would have to be BAD for an IFS vehicle to get DW.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's where my mind went when I read that. I've danced with Death Wobble in SFA vehicles. Things would have to be BAD for an IFS vehicle to get DW.

256K miles, no idea if anything on the front end has been inspected or changed, or if it's even an alignment-type issue. Could be that, could be something "rattling" in the engine, your guess is as good as mine, maybe better. Might be an engine mount. Need a trusted mechanic.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All it takes is for the inner tie rods to get real loose on that weird joint they have and the front end can and usually goes into a weird oscillation around 40-55mph and gets worse the faster you go and gets crazy again when you back off the throttle. Not exactly like the Dodge Death Wobble or near as extreme but it aint a fun ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos