2.5 inch vs 3 inch muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCull68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was curious as to what everyone's thoughts were on wether to put a 2.5 inch in/out muffler vs a 3 inch in/out muffler on a stock Chevy tahoe 5.3l. I recently got a Carven TR 3" in/out muffler installed and many people were telling me I should have gone with a 2.5" in/out instead due to exhaust scavenging. Thanks in advanced.
Take my direct advise, I have a 2003 Tagoe Z71, just installed 3" cat back with Delta 50 Flowmaster, sounds good but I DEFINTELY LOST POWER.........gonna go back to a stock diameter exhaust. Anyone want a new 3" exhaust I'll have one for sale in Denver area.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of replacing the entire exhaust, couldn't you just place a restrictor in it, somewhere, and get your power back? Alternately, could you tune for the increased exhaust flow?

thingraylinetah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shhttt, we had those as rental car's way back, you could flinstone start faster then a hyundia, once you got up to about 50mph they finally would go but total dog of a car
I had a 2018 Hyundai sonata that came stock with 185 hp. I put in a k&n panel filter in in place of the stock filter. It would then roast the tires in first and second gear.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 2018 Hyundai sonata that came stock with 185 hp. I put in a k&n panel filter in in place of the stock filter. It would then roast the tires in first and second gear.
ya they have improved some I am talking way back when they first hit the market, you could floor that darn thing and probably push it faster off the line, this was around the same time that toyota started making the lexus line and honda the acura line, they got double the market share then, most people had no idea these "luxury" cars were just a rebadged product

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14