2.5 inch vs 3 inch muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Em Vee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was curious as to what everyone's thoughts were on wether to put a 2.5 inch in/out muffler vs a 3 inch in/out muffler on a stock Chevy tahoe 5.3l. I recently got a Carven TR 3" in/out muffler installed and many people were telling me I should have gone with a 2.5" in/out instead due to exhaust scavenging. Thanks in advanced.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope especially with just a muffler swap. regardless of the persons misconception about exhaust systems a typical performance system for your vehicle is 3in. those companies actually spent research time on what the best exhaust would be. going too small or too large can have adverse effects on performance and reliability of a vehicle. yes it could also be termed as exhaust scavenging still but its not entirely the best term anymore. the point is having enough exhaust velocity for exhaust gases and heat to get away from the engine quickly. too small and your restricting it and trapping it. too large and it wont have enough velocity. regardless 3in is fine for your vehicle your muffler may get SLIGHTLY warmer as your going up in diameter then choking it back down but its negligible.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my racing days, I saw plenty of cars go slower with a large exhaust. I "think" a 3" exhaust is too big for a stock 5.3 making less than 300 horsepower.

Whenever I came across such deliberations, 3 passes were made at the drag strip, one change made and 3 more passes made to measure the results of the change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV