1st Tahoe-trailer brake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pokytahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought my first tahoe 2012 in red with the HD towing package

I'm not finding any trailer brake controls inside. Is it built into the stabilitrak system? It's just confusing there would be no trailer brake controls on a heavy duty tow package

Last edited:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure about 2012 but alot of the time a tow package means it came with better gearing for towing. a small aux trans cooler infront of the radiator already. a hitch receiver sometimes. and all the wires required to tow a simple basic trailer already there. the wires for a brake control were usually there but taped into the harness.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its been a while since i dealt with towing equipment besides a hitch and a 4way. however thats how it used to be when i worked at a shop that dealt with all that stuff. some trucks also have the optional factory brake controller that mount to a removable section of the dash. usually thats a dealer installed item. either a customer requested it or the dealer installed it for whatever purpose.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
4 wires should be taped under the drivers side of the dash above the pedals... hook your aftermarket trailer brake controller up there.

2 ring terminals on Red Red/Blk wires under hood near fuse box need to be hooked up to the 2 studs at the end of the fuse box towards the front of the truck. They are different size studs and the appropriate ring terminal/wire will only hook up to the appropriate stud.

One will be taped to the harness between the engine and fuse box under the master cylinder and the other will be between the fuse box and fender.

***EDIT***

It's funny this was just brought up in another thread...
Check it out... it has a pic of wires hooked to fuse box...

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/random-wire.105430/

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought my first tahoe 2012 in red with the HD towing package

I'm not finding any trailer brake controls inside. Is it built into the stabilitrak system? It's just confusing there would be no trailer brake controls on a heavy duty tow package

Welcome John! Post up some photos when you can. Do you have RPOs K5L and JL1?

Send me an email and I'll send you the Upfitter's Guide which shows what Ken is talking about above.

OP
OP
P

Pokytahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome John! Post up some photos when you can. Do you have RPOs K5L and JL1?

Send me an email and I'll send you the Upfitter's Guide which shows what Ken is talking about above.

sorry for replying so late, here's a pic of Hank. I don't know what rpos k5l and jl1 mean

IMG_20180707_162558768.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Crystal Red Tintcoat was an extra cost color, looks great! JL1 is the RPO code for the integrated trailer brake controller. If you have it, it will be on the left side of the knee bolster, underneath the light switches and 4WD dial. If not, the wiring for adding an aftermarket one will be under the dash in the same general area.

K5L is the RPO code for the Enhanced Cooling Package which allow maximum towing capability. All of your codes will be on the RPO sheet on the inside of your glovebox door.

OP
OP
P

Pokytahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That Crystal Red Tintcoat was an extra cost color, looks great! JL1 is the RPO code for the integrated trailer brake controller. If you have it, it will be on the left side of the knee bolster, underneath the light switches and 4WD dial. If not, the wiring for adding an aftermarket one will be under the dash in the same general area.

K5L is the RPO code for the Enhanced Cooling Package which allow maximum towing capability. All of your codes will be on the RPO sheet on the inside of your glovebox door.

cool thanks, there's no controller there but it does have the k5l

sneasle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I don't like to ping these older threads, but this one isn't that old.

I've picked up 2011 'burb and mine has the K5L code, but not the JL1 code. It does however have a Reese Pilot unit mounted to the panel next to the OBD2 port. I'm assuming the Reese is an OK unit? I've not done much towing previously, and never with a brake controller some I'm a little uneducated on them. I'm going to need to move a large-ish (20ft) enclosed trailer that will be heavily loaded a few miles around town in the next few months, so I want to make sure that this wonderful little dodad is the 'right' one to have.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That Reese Pilot appears to be a time-delayed brake controller, and will probably be fine for occasional use if set up properly. With heavier trailers you'd get better braking performance from a proportional controller. Here's some info on the differences:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx

I use a Tekonsha P3 which is probably overkill for pulling a 3,500 lb. travel trailer but it has the features I wanted and was about $135 when I shopped around for it a couple of years ago. There are less expensive proportional controllers if that's what you determine you need.

EDIT: I drive a bit more conservatively when towing, since other drivers don't seem to respect my stopping distance, even more than usual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63