1999 Yukon Not Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RandyB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last week my wife parked the Yukon.
About an hour later she went out to turn it around in the drive way and it wouldn't start.

Tried to jump with no luck.
Next day I put the charger on it, still no start.

I just pulled the battery and had it tested and it's fine.

The remote locks work, interior lights come on, gauge cluster lights up and functions, and I can here the starter solenoid clicking when I turn the key, but no action from the starter.

Any suggestions on where to start looking and chasing this down?

Thank You!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week my wife parked the Yukon.
About an hour later she went out to turn it around in the drive way and it wouldn't start.

Tried to jump with no luck.
Next day I put the charger on it, still no start.

I just pulled the battery and had it tested and it's fine.

The remote locks work, interior lights come on, gauge cluster lights up and functions, and I can here the starter solenoid clicking when I turn the key, but no action from the starter.

Any suggestions on where to start looking and chasing this down?

Thank You!
Sounds suspiciously like you either have a bad starter or a bad ground. A quick check would be to take a set of jumper cables and clamp one black clamp to the alternator mount or other solid point on the motor assembly and the other black clamp to the negative post on the battery. If that gets it to start, it's a bad ground. Likely the one from the back of the engine to the firewall. If not, your starter may be giving up the ghost. Sometimes you can tap it with a hammer and get it past a dead spot and get it going.

JackFox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like a starter right off the bat. It's the best solution with the least amount of assumptions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne