1999 Tahoe Transfer Case Capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to buy Auto Trak II fluid to perform a transfer case flush on my Tahoe. It does have Auto 4WD. How much will I need? I can get the AC Delco version on Amazon. It comes in 32 ounce bottles. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think you really need to flush a transfer case just drain it and fill it up
and transfer case is not that dissimilar from a manual transmission gears submerged in fluid
maybe gears and a chain most new process transfercases are chain driven

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm the case takes about 2.5 quarts. The wrong fluid was in the case before. Drivetrain feels much smoother and clunk is gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean James

Reaction score
Mine took exactly 2 quarts of Auto trak II. Stock Height, on level ground, in garage, at 55 F. after letting drain for 1 hour. I did not jack up the Tahoe front or rear, just crawled under and performed the procedure on my back with work lights. The T/C had 18mm bolts for both lower drain, and upper fill bolts. The bolts for splitting case are 14mm, do not confuse them. Purchased 3 quarts of AC Delco Auto Trak II from NAPA @ 9.00 a quart, only took two quarts of fluid before it started to bleed out of upper fill hole. Used 4 wraps of teflon tape after wire brushing on both plugs, and torqued by hand with a standard 3/8 drive rachtet...don't overdo the torque, IT'S ALUMINUM. Better to have a leak and check it later, than crack the case. I'm guessing this was the first T/C change after 130K miles. Stock fluid was a dark brown, no smell, no issues before change. I am the 3rd owner and do not believe it has ever been changed, no maintenance records. All is well after 180 miles of driving. 1999 Tahoe with 2 wheel high, 4 wheel high, 4 wheel low, and 4 wheel "auto" push-button switches on right side of steering column on the dash. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu