1999 Tahoe Engine VIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Camp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have tracked down and bought my wife's 1999 Tahoe- it is a two door 4x4 w/ the barn doors. We sold it ten plus years back and she has missed it ever since. I was able to track it down and get it back this year and it has lived a rough life! We plan to restore it and I am thinking that it does not have it's original engine. Can someone please tell me where to look on the engine to find the VIN to confirm? The attached picture is what it looked like when we owned her, she does not look like that now, but she will again!

Thank you all - appreciate the help!

1999 Tahoe.jpg

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

8th letter of your VIN will tell you which motor it is. If it's R, it will be the Vortev 5.7. Do you have any pictures of the engine?

On the driver's side rear of the block, by the transmission, should be stamped 5.7 or 5.0.

OP
OP
Chris Camp

Chris Camp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

8th letter of your VIN will tell you which motor it is. If it's R, it will be the Vortev 5.7. Do you have any pictures of the engine?

On the driver's side rear of the block, by the transmission, should be stamped 5.7 or 5.0.
Thank you - what I am looking for is to confirm if the current engine is the engine that it was bron with, numbers matching etc.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I commented above, I searched. Results confusing based on years. The way old smallbock build code stamped on Block head deck RH fwd (Verified). Vortec smallblock build code same place pad smaller(verified twice). Vin Code (partial) could be stamped RH front, by oil filter pad boss, by bellhousing extension top side. What I don't know, is the LS and up. Is there a build code or just related datewise to the partial vincode at bellhousing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs