1999 tahoe 4wd ..... high speed vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Klhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me first say my Hoe is the poster child for all Tahoe troubles .... If it's listed on any forum then I have most likely have had that problem. My trouble now is a vibration or chatter most noticeable above 55 mph. I have rotated the tires and 3 days ago installed new u-joints. Seemed to help a little ..... until yesterday when I was about 2 hours from home the vibration came back strong and a minute later spit the drive shaft off the pig. Making a long story short( 1/2 day later), replaced the rear u-joint again, but the vibration is still there. It vibrates worst when I'm going over 60 and let off the gas. Even when put in N it's still there. Going down hill and letting off the gas is worse. If I play with the pedal and keep the drive system under pressure instead of allowing it to coast it's not as bad.

I have found this problem listed on many forums, but have yet to find the right answer.

99 4wd Tahoe 170000 miles, rebuild tranny at 92000.
klhoe is online now Add to klhoe's Reputation Report Post

Ski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure u dont a bent wheel... I replace alot of thing rotated tires n balance 3 or 4 times founf out it was a bent wheel

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be shit tires too. I ran a set of.....can't remember maybe sport king or something and I had the same problem. Took them off and never had another problem

Diller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had a bad u-joint BEFORE, maybe the pintion bearings in the rear axle or the bearing in the rear output of the transfer case are damaged. That would cause the rear axle yoke or the transfer case rear output shaft to wobble, eventually (or quickly in your case) destroying the u-joints.

Take a look, I've seen it before.

Diller
'99 Yukon SLT
'08 Hummer H3

OP
OP
K

Klhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there any way to check the rear axle without tearing into it?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd try crawling under there and start with the basics...shake it push it see if it moves at all...obviously it should not

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like a worn bearing or carrier.....somewhere

JagerFast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
had similar issue. mine was caused by engine misfiring due to a bad crankshaft sensor. check that out and see what happens. Good Luck

Let me first say my Hoe is the poster child for all Tahoe troubles .... If it's listed on any forum then I have most likely have had that problem. My trouble now is a vibration or chatter most noticeable above 55 mph. I have rotated the tires and 3 days ago installed new u-joints. Seemed to help a little ..... until yesterday when I was about 2 hours from home the vibration came back strong and a minute later spit the drive shaft off the pig. Making a long story short( 1/2 day later), replaced the rear u-joint again, but the vibration is still there. It vibrates worst when I'm going over 60 and let off the gas. Even when put in N it's still there. Going down hill and letting off the gas is worse. If I play with the pedal and keep the drive system under pressure instead of allowing it to coast it's not as bad.

I have found this problem listed on many forums, but have yet to find the right answer.

99 4wd Tahoe 170000 miles, rebuild tranny at 92000.
klhoe is online now Add to klhoe's Reputation Report Post