1999 LS Tahoe rear brake disk conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighoe99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We've got some real terminology problems causing a lack of communication. If you thingy at the bottom of the backing plate is broken you need a new backing plate. Yes you need to remove the axle to replace it. If the other backing plate is looking bad I'd replace it too, seeing how it's 23 years old it's probably well worn. If you pull the axles replace the seals with quality seals. There's a good chance the brake shoes are warped now and possibly were installed wrong at one time, I find that common with this style brakes. I would also replace the wheel cylinders and any hardware that doesn't look good.
I understand there is a terminology issue for most here but not myself as I have been looking for a fix and know exactly what the OP is referring to. The BEST way is to pull the axle out replace the backing plate and axle seal and call it good for the next 20years.
Yes the bottom of the shoes are warped/ bent pretty bad.
Thanks for the input!

20220224_135832.jpg
This I what it should look like, driver/left side rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan