1999 5.7l yukon power steering pump removal, 4x4, can't get it off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Puke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked rock auto, and the TWO new OEM ac delco pumps available,..both use statements in their description to make me believe they may be rebuilds, even though they are stated as new. Also,. there is a RIGHT HAND DRIVE, and a LEFT HAND DRIVE,.. In USA I am obviously left hand,..and the left hand pump does NOT look like mine, but the right hand pump does. It has a 24 month warranty,..which is good as far as parts warranties go. I might call them on the phone, I hope they don't have phone idiots, but rather...real people.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case your next one comes with the mismatched stud that the bracket attaches to, I swapped the old stud onto it when I did mine so that the bracket would sit flush.

To avoid a belt squeal, the pulley will need to sit flush with the pump shaft flange when you put it all back together.

69aab990f2051769ebf42939149d72b7.jpg

216429e33e0bf7e0635cb027ee474319.gif

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked rock auto, and the TWO new OEM ac delco pumps available,..both use statements in their description to make me believe they may be rebuilds, even though they are stated as new. Also,. there is a RIGHT HAND DRIVE, and a LEFT HAND DRIVE,.. In USA I am obviously left hand,..and the left hand pump does NOT look like mine, but the right hand pump does. It has a 24 month warranty,..which is good as far as parts warranties go. I might call them on the phone, I hope they don't have phone idiots, but rather...real people.

The bottom two are for those with hydraulic assist brakes (hydroboost) which was normally found on the 3/4-tons and up along with, possibly, the 6.5L diesel Tahoe. I doubt that you have that.

The first two (36P1385 and 6) look to be the same in the product description, but the photo of the second one shows the EVO solenoid installed. It won’t be, GM doesn’t make it anymore and the description looks to be trying to clarify this. You would transfer your EVO fitting over, but I admit that I would not be sure which of these two to buy as they look to be the same though they have different part numbers.

The third one 36P1350 has the EVO bypass already installed. I think that is the one that I went with and had to transfer the stud over. It leaked at the EVO fitting like the two other brands that I tried (OReilly and something else) so I went with a junkyard pump and called it a day. A complete pain in the ass for something that was supposed to only take an hour or two. Maybe you’ll have better luck...someone has to.

8c9caa211243bf21104266f43f57421d.jpg

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had very good luck with Lares rebuilds, the 2588 would be a 96 non EVO, use the 96 pressure line to delete your EVO. Tie wrap connected evo valve securely behind pump to eliminate getting codes.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As has been said, swap the stud with the older one. When you remove it look at the seal that is just behind the thin reservoir case and verify it looks to be intact. It will be a square lip instead of a round lip. Lube the old stud and start with your fingers to guarantee no cross threading. If you were to drill out the bracket you will weaken it and it will likely crack at a later date.

When you are all back together do yourself a big favor and do not just add fluid and crank the wheels back and forth with the engine running. Jack it up and get the tires off the ground, add fluid slowly and turn from stop to stop SLOWLY and fill as needed and then can start it and turn SLOWLY again to help burp the air out and then drop to ground and add fluid as needed and cap the reservoir and then can crank stop to stop and then roadtest and recheck fluid level.

Woodse

Reaction score
I did mine years ago and recall a dampening valve on the high pressure line that didn't match the existing

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wish i had saved some pics or info from mine i just replaced the same setup in my 97 a little while ago. i already had my ps pump off previously from installing headers and again for some other work so that wasn't a big hassle for me. getting the old pulley off didnt go so well and getting the new one back on i wish i had baked the pulley for a bit to make it easier to get back on.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was making some wierd noises mainly when it was cold and i had an occasional steering surge when turning left. i bought one of the ac delco ones that had an image that matched the one i already had.

stevedonato

Reaction score
I agree with the guy who went to the Junkyard. I did that a lot most of my life with the few American cars I had. GM has fallen so far down the reliability trail. This pump should have never gone bad at only 100k+ miles. I have owned 45 cars/trucks in my life so far and never had a Steering pump fail. I must admit most (not all) were from Japan mainly 300zx and 280zx. Hundreds of thousands of miles on them with Zero failier of any part. So sad for GM. Last year sold my 1982 nissan 280zx, all engine parts were original. My son has a 2000 Silverado very similar engine components from GM 253,000 mi. with same original power sterring pump. Only replacement was alternator last year. It is bad enough you can no longer buy a Stick shift truck anymore (except diesel) where the trannys could last for ever without a rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeskarS