1999 2 door tahoe lift...Question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coleman84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1999 2 door tahoe that I am ready to lift & wheels & tires. I am having a hard time determining what size tire to go with. I am also having trouble deciding what lift. I originally wanted to do the rough country 6" lift but one place I talked to said that their customer service is horrible, and they will not honor warranties. He referred to rough country as the "wal-mart of lift kits" implying that you get what you pay for. He thought the pro-comp lift was much better. It is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Some people seem to have had no problems with they rough country lifts, so I am confused what to do.

As far as tires, I am going to run the Toyo mt's, I know that much. I don't know if I should do 35/12.50/17 or 35/13.50/17 or even go to a 37". Does anyone have any pics of their rig's that have the above mentioned sizes? I would love to get some input from guys who have been there/done that.

I am thinking I want to go with the Mickey Thompson Classic II wheel.

Thanks for your input!

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the wheel you chose with a 35/12.50/17. A 37" would take considerable trimming and/or a body lift to fit with a 6" suspension lift.

As for the RC vs. Pro Comp lift kit question, I unfortunately cannot help much with that. I have a 6" Superlift and it came on the vehicle and is old. Dick Cepek seems to be the the favorite 6" lift on here, but I can't really comment past that.

billiam7787

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
check out fullthrottlesuspension.com for lifts, really well constructed, plus they have the options of airbags or airbags with complete springs, which make for a smoother ride

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rough country kit is a great kit, fits great and is built well. The old version of the kit was not the best thing in the world but teh new ones get great reviews....I run one on my suburban. I run the cepek on my 2 dr tahoe and I love it too. It is the tallest 6" kit out there. It give a full 6.5" of lift with out having to crank the bars. My rough country is about 5.2" drop and then crank or uncrank from there to get the 4" or 6" kit. I spent a little over $1K on the RCX kit and couldn't be happier so far.

both kits side by side. The tahoe is cranked about 1.25-1.5" and sits 3" taller than the suburban. Same size tires on both.

IMG_1732.jpg
IMG_1733.jpg
IMG_1734.jpg
IMG_1731.jpg
IMG_1730.jpg
IMG_1721.jpg

Midgetclown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know if its true or not but i heard RCD (racecardynamics) makes one of tallest of the 6" lifts. I know it sounds dumb but alot of 6" lifts dont really lift it that much. a guy i used to work for had a 95 2 door hoe with the 6" rcd lift and 35's and his truck was taller than his buddies same truck with a 6" procomp and 35's

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Didnt see your post before Kris..... also heard nothing but good reviews from people with the dick cepek lifts.

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
The rough country kit is a great kit, fits great and is built well. The old version of the kit was not the best thing in the world but teh new ones get great reviews....I run one on my suburban. I run the cepek on my 2 dr tahoe and I love it too. It is the tallest 6" kit out there. It give a full 6.5" of lift with out having to crank the bars. My rough country is about 5.2" drop and then crank or uncrank from there to get the 4" or 6" kit. I spent a little over $1K on the RCX kit and couldn't be happier so far.

both kits side by side. The tahoe is cranked about 1.25-1.5" and sits 3" taller than the suburban. Same size tires on both.

Listen to this man, he is the guru of OBS lifted Tahoe's.

I would go with 35's as you will need to trim with 37's. Also don't forget about regearing the front and rear differentials to push the bigger and heavier tires

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im planning on doing the same lift. im going to go with the 6 inch lift and not crank it up to 6 inches. better ride. and the option of bigger tires later on. im gunna go with a 33 inch all terrain tire on 17 or 18 inch eagle alloy wheel. (cant remeber the number)... everything ive read about the lift your looking at is nothing but good reviews! Im doing the same lift. i just want a lift to have a lift. not much of a 4 wheel rig... just want to go higher!

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

im also am planning on doing 4.11 or 4.56 gears. not sure on those little guys yet... go to www.4wheelparts.com! thats sight has alot and is a great website.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good set up is a 4.56 for 35s, 4.88 or even 5.13 for 37s. I almost wish I had 4.88s with my 35s.

do not do 4.10 with anything larger than a 33, it is a waste of money IMO.

The cepek kit alone with no body lift will clear 37s with light trimming. Trimming brings up a whole new debate though. Many people swear they can clear 35s with just a crank and so on and not rub. I rubbed my 35s with my cepek kit and needed to trim, heavier trimming on the RCX kit but I also never cranked it up as it is teh family mobile (ha-ha). A cepek with a body lift on 37s with 5.13 would be a nice set up though. I am tempted to body lift the tahoe....but then again an SAS may be in the future.....

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had zero problems with my procomp kit and its been on the truck 3 years (three horrible indiana winters) 35/12.5/16's on it and 4.88 gears.

if i were doing it again i would spend the extra money on an SAS and not have wasted the money on the IFS lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63