1998 Yukon SLT - Barn (Cargo) Door Handle Won't Open the Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj gordon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 1998 Yukon barn (cargo) exterior door handle won't open the door.

Here's what I've done so far:
  • Pulled the interior carpeted panels from the barn (cargo) door
  • Checked the actuator - it works both with a key in the lock and with the power door lock switches
  • Checked the small rod connecting the exterior door handle to the latch that should open the door - it is broken
  • Manually moved the latch from the inside of the door that should open the door (I can hear and feel the latch lifting) while someone outside used the handle to try to pull open the door - the door still won't open
I have searched online for diagrams of the cargo doors and can't find anything that specifically addresses the actual latch mechanism on the passenger side cargo door.

Please help!!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
believe there is 2 latches. if one latch is disconnected the other latch isnt getting pulled correctly and wont work with the handle. you will have to find the other latch rod and actuate that one by hand aswell.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
believe there is 2 latches. if one latch is disconnected the other latch isnt getting pulled correctly and wont work with the handle. you will have to find the other latch rod and actuate that one by hand aswell.
Yeah and iirc its at the top of the door..

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's been bad for a long time, probably need to replace outside handle too. Time for a trip to upullit. Also check latch adjustment top and bottom,usually find one loose one tight. With leaky doors.

OP
OP
T

tj gordon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you much for responding so quickly. I'm going to spend my weekend trying to figure out where the second latch is. I can feel the one at the top, almost parallel with the exterior door handle, but I have no idea where to look for the second latch. I'll update you once I find it.

OP
OP
T

tj gordon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah and iirc its at the top of the door..
I found that one; not sure where to look for the second one. Any ideas?
If it's been bad for a long time, probably need to replace outside handle too. Time for a trip to upullit. Also check latch adjustment top and bottom,usually find one loose one tight. With leaky doors.

It worked up until about a month ago; in the morning it opened, in the afternoon it didn't. I don't think the doors are leaking I'm in Florida and it rained the last two nights and nothing inside is wet.

It does look like a repair was done in the past because the protective plastic vapor barrier on the passenger side cargo door has been torn. I'm thinking the actuator was replaced. If I could get the door open, it would make it easier to see inside the door and find the second latch.

Shadowz Edge

Reaction score
If it's anything like my 99 OBS Tahoe with the Barn Doors there's only 1 latch on the door and it's right at the door handle height.

20200524_125209.jpg

I would recommend trying to push in on the door just above and to the left of the handle on the right door as you try and lift the handle to open it.

20200524_125441.jpg

I recommend this as the latch may be under more tension than usual not allowing it to open as intended.

Let us know if this works or not as I'm just trying to throw ideas out there and see what sticks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu