1998 yukon Mystery p0300 and rough idle still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I’m gonna take a crack at it, it’s my best shot. Looking on the head, the first coolant port on driver side seems to be slightly rough, gonna figure out a way to clean that up. It’s surface corrosion/rust, the rest of the ports are fine. What a journey this has turned out to be! All I wanted to do was just change gaskets, If it doesn’t work at least I can say I tried. More concerned about that one head coolant port than anything else now.
Update: Showed the pictures to some folks and I got recommended to use RTV and “Make a gasket” on the bad ports, and use the FEL PRO gasket with each other. Told if it doesn’t work, try the EPOXY method. The pitting isn’t that bad, I think I’m going to attempt this method and see what happens. Wish me luck! Gonna clean everything until I like it first.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first saw my intake, I thought of scrapping it immediately. Only after trying to source a new one with no luck, did I start planning the repair. The main thing is to blast the area and clean out all the pitting corrosion. If you do attempt the repair take your time, and clean and prep well. I used Methyl Ethyl Keytone on lint free cloth as a final wipe before the Metal Set. Don't get that crap on you skin! Wear gloves! Lol
Just my luck. Had everything put together, and as soon as I removed my paper towel covering the passenger side valve cover oil galley, a rubber gasket from a electrical connector rubber “Boot” Fell from somewhere and made its way in. Now I’m lost on what to do. Even if I ripped off the lower intake again I don’t think I’d see it.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s through that hole between the pushrods, that just goes into the lifter valley.

Vacuum hose might work. Those Borescope cameras are fairly inexpensive, the bendy grabber things are at parts stores. Any of that is worth a shot, that’s for sure.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s through that hole between the pushrods, that just goes into the lifter valley.

Vacuum hose might work. Those Borescope cameras are fairly inexpensive, the bendy grabber things are at parts stores. Any of that is worth a shot, that’s for sure.
Just tried a small plastic tube attached to a shop vac, couldn’t find it. I’ll see if there’s some grabby things at a auto parts store lol.

Worse case scenario, what am I looking at here?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know, worst case whatever fell in will block an oil passage. Probably, it’ll just sit in the lifter valley, swirl around in there for a while and work its way to the oil pan. But it could then get stuck up against the oil pump intake so, yeah, I’d pull the intake if you cannot get to it from above.

That sucks, happened to me when I forgot the reinstall the little hold down plate in the lifter valley once. Had to take it all back apart.

Those little cameras are pretty useful and have a light on the end. The ends are pretty small, I’d bet that it’d fit in there and show the culprit. Big box stores and Harbor Freight probably sell them.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know, worst case whatever fell in will block an oil passage. Probably, it’ll just sit in the lifter valley, swirl around in there for a while and work its way to the oil pan. But it could then get stuck up against the oil pump intake so, yeah, I’d pull the intake if you cannot get to it from above.

That sucks, happened to me when I forgot the reinstall the little hold down plate in the lifter valley once. Had to take it all back apart.

Those little cameras are pretty useful and have a light on the end. The ends are pretty small, I’d bet that it’d fit in there and show the culprit. Big box stores and Harbor Freight probably sell them.
Damn. There are some forces out there that don’t want this truck to ever run again! Looks like I’m heading to the auto parts store, they have Iike this 15 inch grabby thing with four prongs. If That doesn’t do it, looks like I’m pulling the intake again. Surely I can reuse the gaskets?

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did. Just had to clean all the RTV off and reapply the sealer on the bolt heads.
Roger, will get some blue lock tite too! I’ll give myself 2 hours to try and get it, if I can’t do it, redoing intake. Thank you for all of your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14